We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quality of Leather handbags from Pisa Market?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Quality of Leather handbags from Pisa Market?

I have been told that buying a leather handbag from the markets in Pisa is probably cheaper than in Florence. Is this true and what is the quality like. I dont want cheap knock offs, or label brands just a good quality leather. Do the markets predominately sell leather goods or do they sell other products as well.

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,431 reviews
from US$109.15*
Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano Day...
274 reviews
from US$97.02*
Florence Day Trip to Pisa, San...
54 reviews
from US$84.89*
Semi-Private Tour: Day Trip to...
27 reviews
from US$218.30*
Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quality of Leather handbags from Pisa Market?

Let the buyer beware! I've bought handbags at the market in Pisa that have held up extremely well: the stitching is still intact, the dye is still uniform and handsome....all is well. And....I've bought handbags at the market in Pisa that - non unlike the ones at the markets in Florence - have been a disaster: stitching that deteriorates, dyes that fade, linings that seem to disintegrate. I'm not sure there's any "secret". Examine the individual bag as carefully as possible, haggle a little on the price and take your chances. My friend says, "Don't buy a bag that you see duplicated in every booth along the way.....those were probably mass produced in some other country." I have found bags, generally, to be more reasonable at the Pisa Market than at the various Florence markets. Having blathered on too much, let me add: Buy a wonderful bag in a reputable shop and pay the price for a lifetime's use. For those.....shop in Lucca on the Via Filungo and in the side streets.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quality of Leather handbags from Pisa Market?

Thanks SavannahMame. Four years ago in Florence I bought an expensive beautiful red leather handbag and still get great compliments about it so maybe I will just buy another special bag and forget the markets (unless something "speaks to me" of course)

3. Re: Quality of Leather handbags from Pisa Market?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 05:17