We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in tuscany- ideas on an itineary??

Which Pisa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
galway, ireland
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in tuscany- ideas on an itineary??

I'm hoping someone can give me some suggestions. I've spent the last while reading through the forums and I'm none the wiser!

We fly into pisa on a wednesday night arriving at 10.30. I was thinking of spending the night in pisa and going to florence first thing in the morning to spend the next three days there. How ever I've seen that Lucca is obviously a highly recommend area to visit. Do you think that I should go lucca for a night and then to florence for the remaining 2 days, or else should I base myself in florence and do a day trip to lucca and/or siena?

Any tips would be appreciated. I've been to florence before and loved it, I'm just afraid that 4 days is to short too travel around to other towns- don't want to be exhausted coming back from my break!

atlanta
Level Contributor
228 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in tuscany- ideas on an itineary??

We just returned and we're glad we did not stay in Florence it is so overwhelmed with tourists and people you can hardly move. I don't know how long it's been since you were there but you really must reserve in advance for anything you want to see so don't go thinking you can just walk up to Medici Chapel or Branccaci Chapel, Uffizi, or anywhere and get in. Just depends on your interests. We really like Lucca, Pistoia, Pisa all good choices, but 4 days is not alot of time, especially if you don't want to be tired.

London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in tuscany- ideas on an itineary??

I just got back from a week in Tuscany (my 2nd time). Pisa you can do in a day - even less than, a few hours. Both times I visited Tuscany, I stayed in Florence and did Pisa as a day trip. Its only an hour on the train between both and besides the main square in Pisa, which includes the leaning tower and Duomo, there's not much to do. Siena is supposed to be amazing even though I didn't go there. Also if you want some beach time, I would recommend Viareggio, which is about 90 mins - 2 hours train ride from Florence, even less from Pisa. Its a stunning beach resort full of art deco buildings with the Alpuane Alps in the background. Nice shopping and restaurants and bars in Viareggio.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,034 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in tuscany- ideas on an itineary??

We spent 4 days there in May and stayed in Pisa. Itinerary was first day - Pisa, second and third days - train to Florence then spent the last day in Lucca which was my favourite.

Pisa is doable in half a day so you could squeeze Pisa and Lucca into one day which will give you another day to do the beach or Siena

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
56 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in tuscany- ideas on an itineary??

Definitely go to Lucca. It was the best part of my trip. Rent some bikes and bike around the town if you are up to it. It makes you feel like a local and saves your feet from all that walking. We ate at the Old City Caffe for lunch mostly because it was cheap (1 euro for a very filling sandwich), but the food was good. If anything, this trip has taught me that expensive does not equal good quality food.

Personally, I did not like Pisa that much. My friends I traveled with did like it but you can do it in just a few hours. We were only there for 2 hours and 30 minutes of that was waiting for the train. It tends to be very crowded and touristy, lots of vendors shoving belts and sunglasses in your face while you are standing there looking at things or trying to take pictures.

Next time I go back I'll be spending a whole day at Lucca and hopefully visiting Siena as well. Hope your trip goes well!

fredrik fernberg
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in tuscany- ideas on an itineary??

Hm...hey everyone! I'm going to Florence for 5 days and Pisa for half-a-day - mostly for looking at the tower. But - what I'm going there for is the wine and food - with my girlfriend. Was thinking of renting a Vespa - trying to be Italian-like ;)

So any recommendations of true Italian food-places...also on the country-side...

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
760 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in tuscany- ideas on an itineary??

freddiecable - Read this thread before you decide whether or not to rent vespas: www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp…

California
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in tuscany- ideas on an itineary??

Thank you for the link to Fodors regarding the vespas! My husband and I were planning to rent one while we stay in Jesolo di Lido but after reading those posts...we're staying away from them!

fredrik fernberg
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days in tuscany- ideas on an itineary??

Oops - 2 years goes fast. Can strongly recommend a trip to Firenze and Pisa. And especially to rent a car and drive around in the Toscany country side. Greve was a super nice little town where you can find nice trattorias with seasonal food and sweet red wine. Don't forget to stop at a local winery and taste their olive oil - makes your tongue smile :)

rome
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 days in tuscany- ideas on an itineary??

Hi, I've been in all the 3 towns, and though Lucca is beautiful I find it less notable than Pisa and Siena and of course Florence, but you have already been in Florence, so I would visit Pisa and maybe 3/4 hours in Pisa to look at the Piazza dei Miracoli, the tower and so are ok, then you can rest and eat and sleep, The day after I would leave to visit Siena and sleep there 2 nights as Siena for sure is worth both day and night. You might even do a short trip to San Gimignano a very small village near Siena or anyway all the medieval villages near Siena are worth a visit: Radda in Chianti, Castellina in Chianti just to mention a couple.

These villages are really beautiful.

Enjoy your trip!

rome
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 days in tuscany- ideas on an itineary??

Hi, I've been in all the 3 towns, and though Lucca is beautiful I find it less notable than Pisa and Siena and of course Florence, but you have already been in Florence, so I would visit Pisa and maybe 3/4 hours in Pisa to look at the Piazza dei Miracoli, the tower and so are ok, then you can rest and eat and sleep, The day after I would leave to visit Siena and sleep there 2 nights as Siena for sure is worth both day and night. You might even do a short trip to San Gimignano a very small village near Siena or anyway all the medieval villages near Siena are worth a visit: Radda in Chianti, Castellina in Chianti just to mention a couple.

These villages are really beautiful.

Enjoy your trip!