We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day to spend in Florence/Pisa with kids.....

The South (of the...
Level Contributor
466 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
One day to spend in Florence/Pisa with kids.....

Don't know much about these towns.

With one day to spend there, with our kids, ages 9 & 11, with us.......what would you do/see?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day to spend in Florence/Pisa with kids.....

Climb things and eat ice cream.

In Pisa climb the leaning tower, you'll need reservations for this.

In Florence climb the Duomo, it is an interesting climb, between the shells of the dome, you have a fabulous close up look at the weird and wonderful creatures of hell in the fresco of the dome and then you get to climb out onto the lantern and see an amazing view across the city. Then when you get down, let them go crazy in a gelataria, they will have earned it.

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
England
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day to spend in Florence/Pisa with kids.....

Hi.

I'm not clear from your post whether it's Florence and Pisa with a day each or one or the other.

If it's a choice between the two, I'd say Pisa every time - my kids, (aged 10 and 8), loved it!

Assuming you can do both here are my recommendations:

Florence:

My suggested itinerary:

A walk across the Ponte Vecchio, (that's for you - my kids weren't interested - a medieval bridge with shops was just shops to my two!)

Leaving the Ponte Vecchio, heading towards the Duomo, you reach the Mercato Nuevo - stop to rub the nose of 'il porcillino' for luck and try to get a coin in his mouth

Take a horse and carriage ride around the streets, leaving from near the Duomo

if you have the energy, climb the Duomo

Have lunch

Walk to the Accademia and see the David, (my kids really liked this!)

Either walk or get a cab up to the Piazzale Michaelangelo and see the sun set over the Arno

Personally, with kids in tow, and if you only have a day, I'd give the Uffizi a miss on this visit unless your kids are really into their art!

Pisa:

Buy a book of tickets for whichever buildings in the piazzadeimiracoli you fancy, (a choice of the Baptistery, the Duomo, the Museo, the Campodesanto and the Cathedral)

Entrance to the Tower is 15 euros extra pp. You don't have to reserve in advance, but it's probably best to do so if you want to avoid either a long wait or run the risk of missing it altogether. During our visit tickets were available for four hours' time - we gave it a miss because we wanted to be on our way by then.

My suggested itinerary:

Go up the Tower

Visit the Museo del Opera della Duomo

Go up onto the top floor of the Baptistery if you don't fancy walking up the Tower, (it's quite high up and you get a good view)

Have lunch at I Santi on the via S. Maria - about five/ten minutes walk from the Tower

let the kids buy tacky souvenirs from the many stalls in the piazzadeimiracoli

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel David
Hotel David
3,393 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Ponte Vecchio
Ponte Vecchio
15,191 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Baptistery
Baptistery
198 Reviews
Pistoia, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
usa
Level Contributor
69 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day to spend in Florence/Pisa with kids.....

oooh what a great itinerary!!

do u have suggestions for 3 days in rome? 1 in venice

England
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day to spend in Florence/Pisa with kids.....

Hi Nina,

I have pm'd you.

Micra :))

5. Re: One day to spend in Florence/Pisa with kids.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 19:18