We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from pisa to florence

sheffield
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
travel from pisa to florence

we are travelling from pisa to florence in january is the train station actually at the airport and if so can i pre book train tickets on line.i am then staying in florence for three nights can anyone recommend any reasonably priced restaurants .we then are retuning to pisa for our final evening same again can you please help with restaurants.Booked hotel in pisa on line which stated airport hotel to find out later it is 8km away which means 2 taxis are they readily available and at what price .our flight back to uk from pisa is arond 5am will this be a problem in your opinion.anything you can advise on will be greatly appreciated.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from pisa to florence

Is train station at airport? - Yes

Can I pre-book tickets? - Yes, trenitalia.it

Are taxis readily available? Yes, at airport and railway station.

For restaurants, why not put in another post headed "restaurants Florence and Pisa". I don't know any to #########.

sheffield
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from pisa to florence

thanks your help is appreciated

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from pisa to florence

I have just read your post again and have just noticed that your flight from Pisa is at 5.00 a.m. This is a bit of a problem, but you have at least made it easier by staying in Pisa the night before. People have experienced difficulty in getting taxis this early in the morning. Read this post:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187899-i577-k8207…

My advice would be - don't be complacent about the problem. Contact your hotel in advance to ask them to arrange a definite taxi, and then keep on at them while you are there to make sure the taxi is booked. It is also possible that your hotel has it's own shuttle service, especially as it is calling itself an airport hotel.

It seems the Pisa travel system is not keeping pace with the increased number of flights coming into the airport.

Kent
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from pisa to florence

Hi, I'm doing the same sort of trip in a couple of weeks' time. I keep reading that the train journey to Florence takes only 45 mins but when I looked at the Rail Company's timetable even the shortest journey takes over an hour and times vary a great deal. Am I right in thinking there are two train stations in Pisa? If so, I was wondering if I could get a ticket from the airport to Florence and stop off at the other station which I believe is nearer to the Leaning Tower? It seems a pity not to see that when we are so close.

Tuscany
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from pisa to florence

There are 3 train stations in Pisa:

- Pisa Centrale, the main station, the departure for all trains for Florence (and all main trans to anywhere)

- Pisa Airport, located just inside the airport, a 5 mins ride from the previous one

- Pisa San Rossore, on the Pisa-Genoa line, very near to the Leaning Tower.

The trip from Pisa Centrale to Florence SMN is about 1 hour, with fast trains. There are obviously also slower trains, but the "right" ones leave at the same minute each hour. Check for timetbles downloading this PDF leaflet:

trenitalia.com/Allegati/memorario_linee.pdf

If you want to see the Leaning Tower before going to Florence, remember that you stamp your ticket on those yellow machines at the tran stations, your ticket wlll expire afyer 6 hours. So the best plan, as far as I can say, is the following:

- Take the train from PIsa Airport to Pisa Centrale, buying ony the ticket for this trip

- Get the bus in front of the Central station that takes you to the Tower (Should be bus #1, but I'm not sure)

- Enjoy Pisa as long as you like and, finally

- Go back to Cetral station and catch your train to Florence

Tuscany
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travel from pisa to florence

Sorry for the mistyping:

<<If you want to see the Leaning Tower before going to Florence, remember that once you stamp your ticket in those yellow machines at the train stations, your ticket wlll expire after 6 hours. So the best plan, as far as I can see, is the following:>>

Kent
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: travel from pisa to florence

Thank you so much stefm for all that detail and that does sound the best plan. However, I looked at the train timetable and it looks as though there are no trains from the airport towards the Central Station between 12.43 and 17.53. Is that right? It's a bit difficult when my flight arrives at 12.15. Maybe I'll have to resort to taking a bus to the Leaning Tower. ??

Fareham, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: travel from pisa to florence

hiya,

yup i did this trip last weekend - from pisa airport its a short 5 minute journey to pisa central - we then got a taxi from the station to the tower - 6 euros, 10 minute ride tops....loved the tower and the campo - got a lovely feel to it - but it was eeriely quiet and sombre the mood - can't say i've ever experienced that before!

train to florence was so cheap - about 20 euros for 2 adults - return trip to florence and back to pisa on the following monday...

florence was beautiful - loved the duomo - it was almost like a painting when you first see it - huge and spectacular - tho surprisingly the inside was fairly undecorated (compared to the vatican that is!) - we walked up the camponile tower - all 414 steps but worth it for the view....

saw fiorentina play lazio - only 36 euros for 2 (16 for women, 20 for men!!!!) - bought the ticket on the day - we found florence to not be too expensive.... pizzas for around 6-7 euros - which were lovely!

great trip - booked ryanair (<£50) and stayed at Hotel Jane - a 3-star but fantastically cheap and well maintained - recently refurbished throughout it was the best of its type ive ever stayed in - and £79 for 2 for 2 nights, with breakfast represented fantastic value - about a 15 - 20 min walk from the centre...

so for under £100 u get flights and accomodation with breakfast for a near 3 day trip - book it up and surprise your missus - well worth it...!

Tuscany
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: travel from pisa to florence

Jools, i don't think you are right, luckily. Even on Sundays there are plenty of trains, as far as I can see from http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

If you check the timetable this way:

Leaving from: Pisa Aeroporto

Going to: Pisa Centrale

several trains are listed, two each hour to be precise.

12:35, 13:05, 13:35, 14:05 ... etc

Kent
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: travel from pisa to florence

Stef...thanks again and yes, thank goodness, I see there are regular train journeys between the two Pisa stations. It's strange, I'd even contacted Trenitalia for confirmation that there were a few hours in the afternoon when there were no trains and they wrote back to say that was correct because trains travelling across the town weren't appreciated at certain times (or words to that effect) ...I wish I could show you the e mail from them but unfortunately it's no longer available. All most peculiar but maybe it's just that there's a new timetable from December 10. Anyway, thanks again for putting my mind at rest.