We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rome to San Gimignano

Chicago suburbs
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
rome to San Gimignano

We will be traveling in May from Rome to near San Gimignano. Is there any easy way to get there without renting a car? After staying near San Gimignano, we will be going on to Pisa to fly out. Is there an easy way to get to Pisa? We can rent a car at the Rome airport but know the driving won't be easy. How expensive would a driver be or is there public transportation?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rome to San Gimignano

The easiest way to get there is to take a train from Rome to Florence. Change to a train for Poggibonsi. At Poggibonsi, ther is a bus to take you from the train station into San Gimignano. The trip will take a little over 4 hours.

You can get a train from Poggibonsi to Pisa. There are some direct trains, while others change at Empoli.

For train schedules, see

www.trenitalia.it/en/index.html

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rome to San Gimignano

My 2 cents here all comes down to a single word in your description..."Near". You said you're staying NEAR San Gimignano. This to me sounds like you'll be in an agriturismo, and there are few that are close to any public transportation and the region is big. So...unless the place at which you're staying has free shuttle service to SG, you'll want your own transportation anyway. It would be worth keeping the car (don't rent it until the moment you're leaving Rome b/c you don't want a car in Rome) to travel to SG and then you won't have the drama of going first to Florence, having to wait for the next bus or train to Poggibonsi, and having to wait for the next bus to SG and then trying to figure out how to get to your place NEAR SG. (For the record, we stayed at an agriturismo that was the closest one to SG but we still had to walk, with backpacks on the country roads - took about 30 minutes by the time we figured out the right direction. The fact that it was pouring rain didn't help, either, and you have to factor in "the worst case". So my suggestion is to see if you can keep the car - added benefit - you can go from winery to winery one day - that's what we missed on our trip and it is a regret of mine!

Chicago suburbs
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rome to San Gimignano

We have thought about it and think we may take the train from Rome to Pisa then rent a car there to do our Tuscany thing for four days. We will then return the car to Pisa and will fly out of there and go to Spain. Do you think this would be easier and more fun than driving up from Rome? Thanks. Celine

Volterra, Italy
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rome to San Gimignano

Celine that is a good idea, you can't go wrong.

Have a good time!

Ciao

Chicago suburbs
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rome to San Gimignano

Hi - next question....If we are coming in at the train station in Pisa, how easy is it to get to the airport area where the car rentals are? We are coming in on a Sunday, so we need to rent from the airport area since they are closed by the train station. Also, any ideas of which car rental place is the best? Thanks! Celine

princeton NJ
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rome to San Gimignano

we rented in rome and drove, family of 5, to SG villa. we also took a day trip to Pisa by car. the best advice i can give you is DONT try to drive from SG to Pisa. it took all day and was a nightmare. all small road and the signs are the worst, even with maps. TAKE the TRAIN. The drive to SG from rome was fine, once we got out of rome (which is not the easiest thing either). we travel often and we go to europe every year but other than Amsterdam, Rome was the worst place in the world that I have ever driven.

7. Re: rome to San Gimignano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 21:17