We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back!

Which San Gimignano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
278 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Just back!

Just spent 3 weeks in Europe, including 3 days in San G/Tuscany. Beautiful and hot!! Stayed an Antico Pozzo, quite nice but spartan, but what could you expect from a building over 1000 years old! Loved the town though, very charming. Also went to a number of the surrounding towns, some were great, some less so. Had some pretty nice meals in San G and Siena particularly. Glad to answer questions...

Toronto
Level Contributor
287 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back!

We are going to Tuscany/Chianti for a week and were thinking of trips to Siena/San G and the other Chianti villages as well as a day trip to Florence.

Anything else you would recommend? Also did you do anything specific in Siena or just wander around enjoying being there?

Thanks

London, UK
Level Contributor
520 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back!

Charlie Q - both San Gim and Siena are wonderful, and very atmospheric. Just a great idea to meander and soak in the atmosphere.

England
Level Contributor
521 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back!

San G overrun with too many tourists avoid!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
278 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back!

charlieq - We really enjoyed San G but liked it the most early in the AM or after about 6, basically when the day trippers are gone. Siena was nice too but much bigger. Certaldo and Mangiorionni (sp?, on the way to Siena right off the highway) were probably our favorite walled towns besides San G and Siena, they are much smaller. But both have a couple of cafes and restaurants and are very charming. We weren't terribly impressed with Volterra, big and not as cute as Siena. But you really can't go wrong anywhere!!

London, UK
Level Contributor
520 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back!

Charlie Q - if you want good restaurants in Siena Le Loggie (just off the Campo - 25-30 euros) and Al Papei - both excellent and delicious (and pretty reasonable)....re restaurants in San Gim - al Vecchia Mura (20euros) for two courses with contorni, bottle of wine and water, all delicious with a stunning view of Tuscan countryside (but book!) and Il Mangitoia (sorry about spelling) about 25-30ish euros for similar size meal and very delicious too but without the view.

Brigantine, New...
Level Contributor
582 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back!

Questions on San G.......... 1. Is the town really hilly once you are there or is it just hilly getting there.........My husband has some difficulty walking uphill. We would love to stay there for a couple of days since it seems to be a charming little town which is what we are looking for but if it is too hilly that would negate it........2. Can you bring a car into town and is there parking...............3. Did you visit Greve. That is supposedly a flat town and we are considering staying there if San G is really too hilly..........4. Is it possible to hire a driver to take up around instead of renting a car. If you have any info , please let me know.................Thanks

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
13 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back!

We are going for three weeks too in September and I have booked 3 nights in Florence, but am now thinking I should change that to the Chianti region. What do you think? We can stay there and drive into Florence for a day trip to see Duomo, David, etc. or should I just stay in Florence and drive to Chianti area for a day trip?????

Thanks, Irene

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
13 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back!

We are going for three weeks too in September and I have booked 3 nights in Florence, but am now thinking I should change that to the Chianti region. What do you think? We can stay there and drive into Florence for a day trip to see Duomo, David, etc. or should I just stay in Florence and drive to Chianti area for a day trip?????

Thanks, Irene

London, UK
Level Contributor
520 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back!

You do have to go up a hill which is relatively steepish to get to the main part of San Gim. but there are shops and cafes to break the trip up - the rest of it is pretty flat and then pretty much downhill. It is lovely and would be a shame to miss

Greve has a pretty-ish main street, but not much else. Try San Gim - it is gorgeous!

I'd do the day trip to Chianti - Florence is compact but you really have to soak in the atmosphere which you can't really do in a day trip when you are running around from one sight to the next.

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
13 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back!

Thanks for the info and I will stay in Florence and do the day trip to Chiant. Do you have any restaurants to recommend in Florence?

Thanks again.