We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for hotel in San G: in or outside city???

san diego
Level Contributor
203 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for hotel in San G: in or outside city???

We are 2 adults on our anniversary traveling north from Rome in October for a few days with a car in Tuscany, ultimately staying for 3 nights in Florence.

We wanted to stay at San G for fun since we heard it is nice at night, but aren't sure where to stay:

inside the walls or outside if it's too hard to park.

Any suggestions for a place????

thanks so much!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for hotel in San G: in or outside city???

We have stayed at Hotel La Cisterna several times and loved it. The views from the hotel are wonderful. They have some sort of discount at the garage closest to the main gate but a cheaper alternative is the lot on the north side of town for about 10 euro a night, I think. You are able to drive up to the hotel btw to drop off bags through a gate around the back of the Town past the parking I mentioned above.

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
698 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for hotel in San G: in or outside city???

Have stayed at L'Antico Pozzo for 1 night as a treat for our anniversary a few years back. Lovely atmospheric hotel.

I would recommend staying within the city walls and paying the little bit extra for parking.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for hotel in San G: in or outside city???

The Hotel Sovestro 2 KM out of San Gimignano is where my wife and I have stayed for the past 7 years each summer. It has a great pool, restaraunt, and view. The staff is very helpful (The girls speak English, Sergio (the father is still struggling!). They have a great buffet breakfast, and afterwards we walk it off by taking the gravel road to town, walking around the entire town and back to the hotel. It takes an hour, but the scenery and exercise are well worth it. The price is about 110 EU for a double with breakfast.

We love that area of Italy. We stay there about 10 nights per summer and take day trips to Siena, Castelinna in Chianti, Volterra, Assissi, etc.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Naperville
Level Contributor
921 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for hotel in San G: in or outside city???

Take a look at Hotel Vecchio Asilo outside of San G. It's a few km but the drive is very easy. We stayed there for 4 four days in May and loved it. Guido speaks English and he and his family take wonderful care of you. The breakfast is wonderful and the rooms are spotless and they even have fresh flowers for you in the room. It a great value also. It's rated one of the top ten for best value. Unless you really want to stay inside the walls, I highly recomend this place.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for hotel in San G: in or outside city???

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187901-d238…

Above is a link to my review of the Leon Bianco, located in central San G. Awesome place to lay your head.

Southern Tuscany
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for hotel in San G: in or outside city???

Seeing this question I thought to myself, "wonder if anyone stays at la Cisterna anymore?" and it's good to read that people do. We haven't stayed there for yonks (for which read 16 years!) but have very fond memories of a lovely few days, and we've certainly eaten there since often. Obviously can't comment on the rooms, etc nowadays but the fabulous view can't have changed, the location is ideal and the food is reliably good.

7. Re: Recommendations for hotel in San G: in or outside city???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 11:19