We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What culinary delights does Tuscany have to offer?

Which San Gimignano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What culinary delights does Tuscany have to offer?

I am travelling thru tuscany in just over two weeks now with my mother. We both adore italian cuisine. What is typically Tuscan that is a must try? Please also offer wine suggestions.

Many Thanks

Cam

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What culinary delights does Tuscany have to offer?

MSN recently posted on their Travel page a very good article of some Tuscany food specials, restaurants, etc.

Just put MSN into your websearch. Click on their travel page and look for the article on Tuscany.

Buon Viaggio e Buon appetito!

NYC
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What culinary delights does Tuscany have to offer?

Hi Cam

The Siena region has a pasta specialty call pici/pinci that is a hand-rolled (sometimes 'Nonna' is in the cucina making it) very thick noodle which is delicious & often served with a meat ragu (either cinghiale/wild boar or sugo/bolognese type sauce) or funghi (mushroom) sauce...absolutely fantastic & addictive - please eat some for me as I'm going through pici withdrawal. Also, Brunello di Montalcino is one of Italy's greatest wines & is popular in the area (along with Chianti...I tend to prefer Brunello though), along with it's younger counterpart, Rosso di Montalcino....mmm, molto bene! Other Tuscan dishes to look out for...maiale (pork), ribollita (fantastic bean/bread/cabbage soup), pecorino (cheese), bistecca ala fiorentina ('chianina' steak drizzled with olive oil & a squirt of fresh lemon), fagioli (their wonderful tender beans served w/olive oil)...you will eat well - enjoy your trip.

Alexandria, VA USA
Level Contributor
587 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What culinary delights does Tuscany have to offer?

ALASKAITALY: Thank you for the refarral to the MSNBC article. It had a description of a farm B&B that I will be staying at next week (La Parrina!) How exciting to know that it is highly regarded for its jams and cheeses!

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What culinary delights does Tuscany have to offer?

Twocoasts...you're most welcome!

I live in Umbria and rent out my apartment, at times, to vacationers...I always keep articles like the MSN one to refer to my clients.

I'm also a chef-so always on the look out for a culinary delight myself!