We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to San Gimignano from Siena

Malaysia
Level Contributor
173 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Going to San Gimignano from Siena

We are planning to go to San Gimignano from Siena.

Please advise how to take the SITA bus, where is the station, do we need to change buses, how many hours to reach San G and how much is the fare.

Also, one important question: I am a car motion sickness person. Is going to San Gimignano roads are curving and uphill? PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS QUESTION. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to San Gimignano from Siena

We took the bus to SG from Siena (and back) in 2007. The schedules differed - for some, you would have to change buses, but there were several each day that were direct, and we chose ones that did not require a change of buses. I don't recall the cost. I believe the trip was scheduled to take about an hour, but the the return took at least 30 minutes longer due to traffic.

I get motion sickness very easily, but did OK because I took Dramamine and sat by the window. However, my husband - who will never admit to getting motion sickness- did have trouble on the return - primarily because the bus was so crowded, there were people standing in the aisles, making it impossible to see out unless you were by the window. You should be OK if you take medicine and sit by the window.

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to San Gimignano from Siena

And yes, parts of the trip are curvy and uphill, but not all.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
173 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to San Gimignano from Siena

Thank you for your reply. In this case, I rather not go. You are a big help.

firenze
Level Contributor
73 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to San Gimignano from Siena

You can always take the train to poggibonsi and then a short 15 minute bus ride to San Gimignano.

Don't miss out on going to San Gimignano, it is lovely.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
173 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to San Gimignano from Siena

We are staying in Siena for 2 nights. You mean there is a train ride to San Gimignano. The train ride will avoid the curving roads. Please give me more information. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to San Gimignano from Siena

There is no train to San Gimignano. You get the train to the station the previous TA advised and just outside a bus pulls in to take you up to San Gimignano. Check your connections.

I caught the bus from Florence to the mentioned town and then waited 35 mins for the bus to take us up to San Gimignano. The bus pulled up right outside that station also.

Niec

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Malaysia
Level Contributor
173 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to San Gimignano from Siena

Thank you for your reply. Please let me know whether the bus ride up to San Gimignano has curving roads. I am sensitve to car motion sickness.

Thank you.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to San Gimignano from Siena

Funnily I don't recall it being very winding but then Tuscany is not called the Tuscan Hills for nothing. There probably is a winding road to get up to the walled village of San Gimignano as it is on a fairly steep hill as are most villages in Italy and were built there for defence purposes.

If I recall a lot of smaller roads around Italy are quite winding.

Niec

Mentioned in this post
Greve in Chianti...
Level Contributor
571 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to San Gimignano from Siena

No matter how you cut it, you can't avoid curves getting up to San Gimignano. But the route is not excessively windy, nor is it very long. And it's definitely worth it!

hartford, ct
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to San Gimignano from Siena

The road is not back at all.

It is partly city streets and partly on the highway.

Not very windy.

I went from SG to Siena on a direct bus. I believe there is a direct bus from Siena to SG.

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Get answers to your questions about San Gimignano