We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best leather shopping in Tuscany

Which San Gimignano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best leather shopping in Tuscany

I shpped in San Gimignano and found great selection for leather handbags etc. Going back to Tuscany for a week in July 2011. Are there any other places to check out that have good prices and selection as well as workmanship?

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
82 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best leather shopping in Tuscany

If you're visiting Florence there's plenty of choice there.

A smallish market near Ponte Vecchio and a very large market between the Cathedral square and the station. We found his by chance and I found a handbag identical to one I liked in San Gim where the stall holder quoted the same price as the shop in San Gim, but then immedieately reduced it by 20%. The bags were of excellent quality

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best leather shopping in Tuscany

The best leather shopping in Florence is to be found in the San Lorenzo markets or the Mercato Nuovo. In the surrounding streets, you will also find many leather stores with similar products.

Most places (even at the markets) will also be able to tailor jackets for you within a day or so.

You can do a little haggling in most places, particularly for cash purchases.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,494 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best leather shopping in Tuscany

There are a great many fine leather shops and street stalls in Florence. You can find almost anything you want in almost any price range. We have been buying leather goods in Florence for years and we have never been disappointed in prices, quality or variety.

One place that is worth looking at is the Leather School at Santa Croce where they have both students and masters producing a great variety of products, and you can walk into a class and watch the students if your timing is right.

After a good bit of comparisons, I think Florence is the best place to buy leather in Italy. Florence will certainly have far greater selection than San G. and probably better prices, too.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,494 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best leather shopping in Tuscany

And this; I do not agree about the power of the open air markets - although we always buy some things there, when it comes time to spend a few hundred euros on shoes, jacket, or other long-lived articles, the we would rather be buying from a merchant who has enough commitment to his products and his reputation to run a shop that stays in business for a long time.

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best leather shopping in Tuscany

Many of the market stalls are run by nearby shops in any case, particularly the jacket stalls in the San Lorenzo markets. If you want to try something on, many will just take you into the store where there are more options, different sizes and big mirrors.

Belts and wallets make great suitcase-friendly gifts from Florence too.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best leather shopping in Tuscany

I agree with roadgard that the leather shopping in San Lorenzo markets is definitely NOT the best (quality-wise, especially!). If you are interested in workmanship, then in Florence you should visit the Santa Croce Leather school - you can actually watch the artisans making bags, journals, purses and other beautiful items right down to every last detail. You can get there either through the Santa Croce church (if you're inside visiting - highly recommended) or you can also go in from the school's own entrance which is just behind the church on Via San Giuseppe.

Edited: 22 October 2010, 10:40
UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best leather shopping in Tuscany

There is a wonderful store in Montepulciano called Maledettitoscani. It's not a cheap store, but I think the quality is really good. It's also a pleasure just to walk round the store and look at the goods.

8. Re: Best leather shopping in Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2010, 15:31
Florence
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Best leather shopping in Tuscany

This has nothing to do with my profession (I represent an agency of personal shoppers working for high-end hotels in Tuscany) but it shocks me to hear how people can talk good stuff about San Lorenzo's market. Quality there was decent decades ago before all businesses started to be run by immigrants who have no knowledge of the craftamship skills needed to work leather nor care about selecting the materials. There are also lots of fakes, do not trust much about those saying they sell brands like Bugatti, Pierre Cardin, etc...

If you want to buy leather brands productions at bargain prices you must gain access at buyers-only warehouses.

Scuola del Cuoio is a good deal, but if you are travelling on a higher budget you may also want to try Gianfranco Lotti.

Hope this helps, regards.

10. Re: Best leather shopping in Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2011, 06:33