We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Florence or Sienna by bus?

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
317 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
From Florence or Sienna by bus?

At the end of October we will be spending time in Florence and then taking a bus to Sienna for a total of ten days as part of a longer trip. We've built time in for day trips in this area. We're thinking of Lucca from Florence and Montepulciano from Sienna. We had planned an extra day in Florence to go to San Gimignano but I think I'm seeing that it's actually a shorter trip from Siena. We can easily spend one more night in Sienna and one fewer in Florence. Any advice?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Florence or Sienna by bus?

san Gimignano is accessible from either. How have you weighted your days at the moment?

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
317 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Florence or Sienna by bus?

Right now we have 7 nights in Florence which gives us 4 days for the city and 2 for day trips. Then 3 nights in Sienna which gives us most of the day we arrive plus another day for Siena itself and one day for a day trip.

Regarding the whole trip: it'll be 19 nights using public transport and visiting cities because of the time of year. After Sienna 2 nights in Verona, 4 nights in Venice and then 3 in Paris since that's where we fly home from.

Will rent a car and explore Tuscany on our next trip at a better time of year!

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: From Florence or Sienna by bus?

I will be in Italy at the same time, and plan to leave Florence around November 1 or 2 to head to San Gimigano, Siena, Pisa. If you figure out the best bus/train option to do this, please post!! Thank you!

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Florence or Sienna by bus?

If you have 2 days for day trips from Florence then I would go to Lucca and also San G from there. Ok, you need to change at Poggibonsi, but it isn't a difficult journey with frequent buses up to San G.

You might find Montepulciano difficult by public transport. It is doable by bus, but you need to get a very early start. Montalcino has a better bus service from Siena.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
317 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Florence or Sienna by bus?

Glad to hear your advice, Peggypatch. We'll do the two day trips from Florence and go to Montalcino from Siena by bus.

Molly, it sounds like it's really easy to get the bus from Florence so I'm just going to wait until we're there to make those palnx.

6. Re: From Florence or Sienna by bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about San Gimignano