We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do

Which San Gimignano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hamden, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Topic
Things to do

We're 3 couples renting a villa in San Gimignano and looking for advice on what to do and where to go in the area. We'll have van and staying for a week. Any recommendations? Places to visit? Places to eat? Would appreciate any help you can offer and thanks!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do

San Gimignano is in central Tuscany so you could basically take daytrips anywhere depending on what you would like to see or do. There are numerous beautiful villages around the area such as Casole d'Elsa, Colle Val d'Elsa, Monteriggioni and all the way down to the beautiful Abbey of San Galgano - or go the other direction toward Montaione, and the Etruscan town of Volterra.

Siena is a must-see - a good day to go would be on Wednesdays as it has a nice big market in the morning.

You're also surrounded by the wine country, so maybe it would be fun to do a wine tour to for example Montalcino. If you don't feel like organizing the day, you could hire a company (I have great experience with tuscan-wine-tours.com).

As to restaurants, San Gimignano doesn't lack. However, I might recommend ones like Molino il Moro and Arnolfo (two stars michelin) in the nearby village of Colle. To make your choices easier, I would follow the recommendations of a travel guide such as Rick Steves or similar.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do

I would recomend Volterra. It is an easy drive from San Gimignano and you could take a pleasant drive across country, if you wanted, rather than use the main road (although this is a good drive too).

Volterra is less touristy and bigger than San Gimignano, but very lovely. There is a wonderfully preserved Roman Amphitheatre and Gymnasium and the alabaster workshops are very interesting.

Hamden, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do

Thanks Irishrover and whynotgonow. Gret help!!!

England
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do

Hi.

Having just come back from the Casole D'Elsa area today, I personally wouldn't recomend that you make a special trip there when there are so many other beautiful, (and more welcoming to the visitor), places to go in the area. Volterra and Monteriggione are both nice places to visit and you could easily do both in a day. Siena, (IMO), is a 'must', as is Florence.

We enjoyed our visit to the shrine of San Galgano, (complete with genuine 'sword in the stone'), and the nearby ruined abbey. The abbey at Monte Oliveto complete with rather frisky frescos is also pretty fantastic.

Check it out at:

slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/monte_oliveto.htm

I recommended some restaurants on this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187901-i1138-k746…

Hope this helps a bit.

5. Re: Things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 02:19