We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental at Siena

HongKong
Level Contributor
665 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
car rental at Siena

I plan to have a driving holiday in Tuscany in June /July. I will pick up my car at Siena and I need help from TA experts for the following questions.

1.Where are the offices of car rental companies eg. Eurocar, Avis etc.in Siena for me to pick up my car? Are they near the main train station?

2.After getting my car at the pick up point, is it easy for me to navigate away from the city and go straight to the motorway.(ZTL is a threat)

3.I will drop off my car at Siena on 2/July which will be the day of Palio di Siena. I just want to return the car to the office and take the train to Milan without going into the city. Will the traffic be very heavy on that day even not going into the the city. In that case, is it advisable to return the car at Florence instead.

Thank You.

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Siena, Italy
Level Contributor
13 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental at Siena

Hello,

the nearest car rental agency is 10 mins walking from Siena Train Station and it's Hertz company (Viale Sardegna) . Once you pick up the car, it's very easy and fast to get to the motorway, from the train station you don't have to cross the ZTL area. The day of the drop off there won't be any problem if you return the car at the Hertz office since it's located quite far from the Palio parade, but since train connection in Siena are VERY bad, (train from siena to florence takes 2 hrs and once in Florence you should get the fast train to milan which takes 1h40!) I'd rather suggest you to return the car at Hertz office in Florence (which is 10 mins walking to the station) , definitely easier.

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Florence
Florence
San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental at Siena

Avoid returning a rental car to Florence except for the airport. The areas around the Florence train station is a set up for receiving traffic fines and rental car notification fees for ZTL and bus lane violations. The Florence airport location is easy to get to and just a short taxi ride to the train station. Because of the Palio in Siena on July 2, I would avoid the area (I attended the Palio in 2009).

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
38,700 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental at Siena

Yes, the rental company is only a few minutes walk from the train station so you shouldn't have any issues. I, too, would return the car to the Florence airport to avoid Siena during the Palio.

Donna

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,390 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental at Siena

", but since train connection in Siena are VERY bad, (train from siena to florence takes 2 hrs"

we noticed the same thing getting to and from Siena when we recently stayed there.

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
CA
Level Contributor
10,567 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental at Siena

At the Florence airport, all the agencies are at a big complex at Via Palagio degli Spini, about 5 minutes away – Coordinates GPS N43[degrees]48’00” / E11[degrees]11’48”. Returning the car, the entrance is difficult to see as it's in the shadow of a raised motorway on a one way street. Type “Via Palagio degli Spini, Florence, Province of Florence, Italy” into Google maps and drop the yellow man on this location (the “A” sticker) to bring up the Google ‘street view’ for a visual representation that will help you recognize the turn off.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental at Siena

Be sure the Siena office is open on Sunday.

Personally, I would drive to Chiusi/Chianciano. Finding the Hertz office took a few tries and then I found walking along the roadway between the office and train station to be a bit difficult as there is a busy intersection to cross and no signal.

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
HongKong
Level Contributor
665 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental at Siena

thanks to you all for the advice

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,261 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental at Siena

None of the major rental companies' offices in Chiusi are open on Saturday afternoons or Sundays. I think this is also true in Siena.

The nearest rental offices open on a Sunday would be at Florence airport or Pisa airport.

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Florence
Florence
CA
Level Contributor
10,567 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental at Siena

Dump it at the Florence Airport complex where they will be open. Pisa Airport is further away and a longer train journey.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,870 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental at Siena

hkcsc,

All car rental agencies are close to the train station. Hertz is the closest about half a kilometer, uphill and across two busy streets. A taxi to any of them would be under 10 euro.

Siena ZTL is inside the walls so it is easy to avoid when driving away.

Siena office will not be open on Sunday so the Florence Airport is a must.

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Florence
Florence