We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Contrada Dinner - Il Palio - August 2017

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
Contrada Dinner - Il Palio - August 2017

Hello!

Does anyone know how to book a contrada dinner for the night before the Palio (this August 2017)?

Thank you!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,512 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Contrada Dinner - Il Palio - August 2017

I stayed at a hotel outside of Siena and they were able to put me in touch with a member of a contrada who arranged tickets. Plan on a late night.

Eagle River, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,893 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Contrada Dinner - Il Palio - August 2017

I agree, your hotel can certainly help you attend a Contrada dinner. It will be more enjoyable if you do a little research into which ever contrada they arrange a dinner with. The more you know, the better your experience will be. Palio is very exciting but it's so much more then the 2 minute race.

Italy
Level Contributor
3 posts
50 reviews
3. Re: Contrada Dinner - Il Palio - August 2017

Hi. First you should wait tonight in order to know all the 10 contrade that will run. Then go directly on the website of the contrada and you will find istructions, telephone numbers to call.

A small Contrada will be happier to welcome non resident people.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,174 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Contrada Dinner - Il Palio - August 2017

Helpful to speak some Italian too, surely?

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
14,010 posts
764 reviews
5. Re: Contrada Dinner - Il Palio - August 2017

Of course, keep in mind that the Palio is totally opposite to a tourist-oriented event, so if you participate you don't have to expect that you'll be treated as the focus of the dinner (or that English will be spoken with you).

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,174 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Contrada Dinner - Il Palio - August 2017

It's strange how all the Italians I know in the Province of Siena have absolutely no interest whatsoever in Siena's Palio writing it off as merely something the Sienese do, it's as alien to them as, say, running with bulls in Spain or France or rolling cheeses down hills in England's West Country. Yet I can see the attraction for tourists, so long as they fully understand the background to it and, especially, the power and mystery of the contrada system. (Though I'm struggling for words and perhaps "power and mystery" are not the right ones.)

Sun Valley, Idaho
Level Contributor
234 posts
36 reviews
7. Re: Contrada Dinner - Il Palio - August 2017

We booked directly through a contrada

8. Re: Contrada Dinner - Il Palio - August 2017

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2018, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Siena
Recent Conversations