We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siena as Base for Visit to Tuscany

Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
90 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Siena as Base for Visit to Tuscany

Hello,

We are going to stay at the Hilton property just outside Siena and have a rental car. I can't find solid answers to the following questions and wanted to throw them out to the group:

1) Flying into Rome and training up to Siena to rent car vs. renting car in Rome. Any advantages to either way?

2) From Siena, we plan on doing day trips to Florence, Pisa, and Assisi (plus wine visits in places like Chianti). Any of those towns difficult to get to by car and would train or tour be better than us driving? Will we find parking in towns of Florence, Pisa, and Assisi?

3) Finally, has anyone stayed at the Hilton there? (La Bagnaia Golf & Spa Resort Siena). I've read the reviews. Was specifically interested in whether they had a "club" for Hilton Honors members? Its "Curio Collection" on the Hilton website--whatever that means.

Thanks in advance. Any other recommendations welcomed. I'll post a review of the trip afterwards.

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Assisi
Assisi
Province of Perugia, Italy
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Siena as Base for Visit to Tuscany

May as well drive up if you think you will not be too jet lagged.

It sounds like you definitely need to do some research into the ZTLs in just about every urban settlement in this area. You will then understand that you need to plan your parking in Pisa and avoid driving to Florence at all. Take the train or the bus.

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Florence
Florence
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,189 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Siena as Base for Visit to Tuscany

Take the bus to Florence; there are parking lots outside the smaller hill towns which are clearly marked so you shouldn't run into ZTLs if you pay attention. I hope you are close enough to Siena to be able to walk and dine there in the evening -- it is so lovely. I would take the bus to Siena and then arrange to pick up the car in Siena at the train station the next day. It is too far to drive after an overseas flight.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
90 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Siena as Base for Visit to Tuscany

Thanks. Guessing we will use car for most wineries and small towns, but plan on tour or train to get to Florence. what are ZTL?

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Turin
Level Contributor
8,810 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Siena as Base for Visit to Tuscany

A ZTL is an historic urban area where only residents can drive in. Basically all central districts in Italy are historic, so tourists without a booked room aren't allowed to drive in.

You'd better Google ztl+sign if you're going to drive in Italy.

ZTLs are camera controlled these days and the sign isn't used out of Europe, so you can pile up many fines without realizing you are doing something wrong.

Edited: 09 May 2017, 18:38
Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Siena as Base for Visit to Tuscany

https:/…Driving.In.Italy.html

Fort Mill, South...
Level Contributor
420 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Siena as Base for Visit to Tuscany

I'm planning a stay at the La Bagnaia Golf & Spa Resort Siena in October. I'm looking forward to your review. There are a few new reviews on TA that rate it very highly.

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
7. Re: Siena as Base for Visit to Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2018, 06:19