We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from San gimangano to il Palio

sydney
Level Contributor
441 posts
31 reviews
Drive from San gimangano to il Palio

We will be staying at guardestel near San giomngno and will have a rental car and are hoping to drive to Siena for the il Palio race on 2 July. Is this feasible on the day and how long would it take? If we don’t buy tickets what is recommended to see the race and be part of the festivities?

8 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
3,243 posts
100 reviews
1. Re: Drive from San gimangano to il Palio

We have twice been in Siena during the Palio but never wanted to brave the crowds. One option is to spend the day before the Palio in Siena. It is a very festive day where the contradas march and sing throughout the streets and the townspeople eat at long, celebratory tables through Siena. It is a nice way to experience the history and festiveness of Palio without actually going to the Palio. I cannot speak to the parking issue on the actual day because we were staying outside of Siena as well. But there are multiple carparks around the walls - would think you would want to get there very early.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,522 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Drive from San gimangano to il Palio

Twelve years ago, we were in Siena for a week which included the Palio. When we arrived, four days beforehand, we found a spot in one of the carparks and our landlady advised us not to move the car because it would be increasingly difficult to find a spot.

There are two places for spectators. Stands are erected around the perimeter of the Campo, and expensive tickets are sold to sit there. The alternative is to go into the middle of the Campo before the festivities start, and hope you can find a spot where you can see part of the race.

There are a number of practice races held before the actual Palio race, and we went to one of them, standing in the middle of the Campo. Although we were right next to the track, we found we could see the horses for only a fraction of a second as they came past us. On the day of the Palio, we decided it was not worth while to spend several hours in the sun in the Campo, and we watched the race on television.

For us, the highlight was the previous evening, where we attended one of the pre-race dinners in the square next to the Duomo.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
12,116 posts
566 reviews
3. Re: Drive from San gimangano to il Palio

We have never been in Siena during the il Palio but I can imagine it is a small zoo.

2 posts
4. Re: Drive from San gimangano to il Palio

Does anyone have information on how to get tickets to the Contrada dinners on the night before the race?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Drive from San gimangano to il Palio

Matt...Months before the dinner, the place I was planning to stay at put me in touch with a person able to get three dinner tickets and balcony seats the day of the Palio. For both, I did pay arm and half a leg.

2 posts
6. Re: Drive from San gimangano to il Palio

Thanks. The Palio tickets are absurdly expensive. I was just thinking of taking the fam to a dinner on July 1 but can't find anywhere online to purchase them.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Drive from San gimangano to il Palio

I was staying well outside of Siena at the Castello delle Serre and they had connections...."Check with your hotel".

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,994 posts
61 reviews
8. Re: Drive from San gimangano to il Palio

Yes, our hotel advised us where we could go to get the tickets. There are huge dinners in the open for all the contrade who are competing. All the festivities and speeches are in Italian of course and the meal is fairly simple, but ample, usually cooked by the contrada women. We were sat at a table with other straneri.

Reply to: Drive from San gimangano to il Palio
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Siena