We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siena 6 days with Rome and Venice

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Siena 6 days with Rome and Venice

Hi! This is our first trip to Italy, but have done many multi-location trips. Travel in July...I know...hot, busy, but it's the only time for extended vacations. I have been reading and reading...originally confronted with the Florence vs. Siena question as a base and feel that based on all the reading, Siena is where we will base. Montepulciano, Pienza, Chianti Region, just read about Buonoconvento...the list goes on...so many places seem appealing! So the itinerary at this time is:

5 nights in Rome

6 nights in Tuscany

4 nights in Venice

We will most likely rent a car. So here are a few questions. Is it best to rent a car and drive from Rome to Siena or take public transport to bus (which I read is actually a good option due to minimal train departure times.) I read this but do not know if it is accurate or if train departures change much or increase from season to season. From what I've read they do not. Anyway, read about Orvieto and renting car from there.

I also have not written Florence off the list. I realize it isn't that far, but a day is not really a plan for the city! However, several hours is better than none. To add it to the list during six nights as a day trip is a thought (but probably not ideal), but also feel we should add a day in order to do this. If the last part of the journey is Venice, maybe this would make sense as far as access to the train. I would appreciate any thoughts/advice/guidance. I have not researched taking the train from Siena yet. Nothing has been booked, so the plan is fluid. Apologies for length of info. and questions, but it may help with responses. Thank you so much to all who are willing to take the time to respond! I appreciate it!!

8 replies to this topic
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,536 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Siena 6 days with Rome and Venice

The driver should be aware of Italian driving laws such as ZTL's, cameras, parking, signage, etc.:

https:/…Driving.In.Italy.html

http://driventoit.blogspot.com.au/

www.viamichelin.com will give you an idea of time/distance and costs.

After your visit to Rome, you can take the train to Chiusi to rent the car.

Autoeurope.com is usually recommended. It's also recommended to not leave anything in the vehicle.

DK Eyewitness Florence & Tuscany has some routes and info. Volterra and the gorgeous Val d'Orcia....so much to see, to little time.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Siena 6 days with Rome and Venice

Thank you, ocpony! I appreciate the information.

Level Contributor
3,253 posts
102 reviews
3. Re: Siena 6 days with Rome and Venice

I think the countryside is a lovely place to be in the hot summer months vs Florence. Florence is a small, walkable city and you can certainly see a lot in a (long) day trip. If you want to go to museums, pre-book entry tickets to avoid wasting time in lines.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Siena 6 days with Rome and Venice

I like your take on this, Bonniebelle4. We may do this or add the day if we take another's advice of train from Rome to Florence to get the car and back to avoid extra charges before going to Venice. Thank you!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,870 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: Siena 6 days with Rome and Venice

skylight,

This may help slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm

Turin
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
1 review
6. Re: Siena 6 days with Rome and Venice

> due to minimal train departure times

What site are you using to check the train schedules? There are 23 trains each day from Roma to Siena (1 change) vs 10 buses (direct).

The Bus takes less and stops on the top of the hill in Siena while the train station is at the bottom.

Edited: 18 January 2018, 11:28
Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Siena 6 days with Rome and Venice

Thank you, travelsitaly! I did see that on one of my searches. I should probably slow down and read it again.:) The initial stages of planning are fun, interesting, overwhelming...

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Siena 6 days with Rome and Venice

Thank you for the information, NapOrsoCapo! I was just going by what someone mentioned on another thread in the forum. I do understand I need to check things for myself, but hadn't gotten to train schedule on that particular night. I appreciate your information!

Reply to: Siena 6 days with Rome and Venice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Siena