We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scenic route from Siena to Assisi?

Toronto
Level Contributor
73 posts
56 reviews
scenic route from Siena to Assisi?

Hello...in early May my wife and I want to spend one of our days in Siena driving to Assisi in the morning and spend the afternoon enjoying Montepulciano, Pizza and Montalcino before heading back to Siena.

While I know the scenery will be beautiful for the afternoon part of our trip, I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a scenic route from Siena to Assisi. I know the highway would be the fastest, but it doesn't look very exciting. The route through Arezzo and down through Palazzo del Pero looks nicer but might be too long.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks.

18 replies to this topic
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
149 reviews
1. Re: scenic route from Siena to Assisi?

I would request this information on the Road Trips Forum.

Toronto
Level Contributor
73 posts
56 reviews
2. Re: scenic route from Siena to Assisi?

Thanks queeni. I'll re-post it there.

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
798 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: scenic route from Siena to Assisi?

Deanno, 1. Have you really looked at a map to see the distances between these cities? 2. Why do you want to race through 4 lovely Italian towns in one day? Pick one - plan to drive "off the main road" if you want less of a "highway drive" experience, although the scenery in Italy is pretty much beautiful whatever road you are traveling on. Research and find a lovely restaurant for your lunch break. Enjoy the town you have picked to explore.

Toronto
Level Contributor
73 posts
56 reviews
4. Re: scenic route from Siena to Assisi?

Thanks Bonnie. We only have the car for two days, one of which we plan to spend doing exactly what you suggest visiting San Gimignano and Volterra and exploring the area. Maybe we're trying to do too mch to squeeze in Assisi. Perhaps we could focus on the Val d'Orcia down to Olvierto, perhaps...? Or am I getting too ambitious again?

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
798 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: scenic route from Siena to Assisi?

Deanno,

I do hope you have other days in which to explore Siena. It is our favorite city in Italy. I would spend a day driving to Montepulciano and then to Pienza coming back by way of Buon Convento. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Siena,+53100+Province+of+Siena,+Italy/Montepulciano,+53045+Province+of+Siena,+Italy/@43.1930783,11.2739446,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x132a2cbf34bf5313:0x5d731212f12343e3!2m2!1d11.3307574!2d43.318809!1m5!1m1!1s0x13295c04abeab307:0xcfbd667e662d3f92!2m2!1d11.7872467!2d43.0986938!3e0

Toronto
Level Contributor
73 posts
56 reviews
6. Re: scenic route from Siena to Assisi?

Thanks Bonnie. Yes, we are planning two full days just to be in Siena.

😊

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
798 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: scenic route from Siena to Assisi?

We absolutely love the area of the Val d'Orcia around Montepulciano and Pienza. Some of the most photographed scenery in the world actually. If you want a splurge lunch try La Grotta which is located beneath Montepulciano across the way from the church of San Biagio, which is fabulous. If you are brave and feeling up to it you can leave the car there, it's free parking and then walk UP the hill into the town, thereby not having to hassle with avoiding the ZTL, etc. :-)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
3,215 posts
23 reviews
8. Re: scenic route from Siena to Assisi?

You should do only one major town per day, plus driving. No way you can do Montepulciano, Montalcino, amd Orvieto in one day. Well you could, but you would be rushing and barely have time to get out of the car, and time to go already!

You could go to Assisi as a day trip, but it takes time to see all there is to see in Assisi. I would just take the fastest route in the early morning, and decide in the afternoon if you feel like coming back the scenic way.

Toronto
Level Contributor
73 posts
56 reviews
9. Re: scenic route from Siena to Assisi?

Sounds perfect! :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
752 posts
34 reviews
10. Re: scenic route from Siena to Assisi?

I've done this route and really enjoyed it. Lots to do and see to take up the day. Highlights would be Pienza, Montepulciano and San Qurico but other interesting places along the way.

https://tinyurl.com/ybc73qeu

Reply to: scenic route from Siena to Assisi?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Siena