We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-Booking Florence/Siena Bus Tickets?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Pre-Booking Florence/Siena Bus Tickets?

Ciao a tutti - Would you recommend pre-booking bus tickets to/from Florence/Siena online ahead of time or just buying them right before travel?

Background: I studied abroad in Siena 11 years ago and am attempting to give my sister advice who will be visiting in July. I had advised her to take the bus from Florence to Siena and back (staying two nights) and when I was there you could not purchase tickets online. I see now you may be able to for Tiemme (not sure it would work for the Sena buses - if those still run, too). In my memory you would just go to the tabacchi beforehand and buy a generic bus ticket that you would validate on either bus company (I think it was TraIn and Sita when I was there) when you got on board, but perhaps my memory is wrong. Is she ok to wait until she arrives in Firenze for the ticket to Siena (and then in Siena buy the one back to Florence) or will they potentially sell out ahead of time now that they are sold in advance? Also, does she have to buy for a specific time or is my memory actually right that it's a general bus ticket that can be used any time once validated? Grazie mille!

5 replies to this topic
Eagle River, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
16 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Pre-Booking Florence/Siena Bus Tickets?

No reason to book ahead of time that I know of. There are lots of seats and the buses run regularly.

Edited: 06 May 2018, 04:44
Boston...
Level Contributor
3 posts
39 reviews
27 helpful votes
2. Re: Pre-Booking Florence/Siena Bus Tickets?

Agree with Michael M. We got tickets at the bus station right before our bus. Easy!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
21 posts
3. Re: Pre-Booking Florence/Siena Bus Tickets?

Thanks so much to you both! I'll let my sister know :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
74 posts
9 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Pre-Booking Florence/Siena Bus Tickets?

So did your sister have any issues getting the bus tickets?

I wonder can you buy the ticket back to Florence as soon as you get there, to save queuing along with my fellow day trippers in the afternoon. Or do they have a 4hr window for use?

KCH
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
50 reviews
210 helpful votes
5. Re: Pre-Booking Florence/Siena Bus Tickets?

We recently did the trip. Just buy a return ticket at the bus station at Florence. It's an open ticket so you can return at any time. Grab a timetable at the bus station at the same time.

Reply to: Pre-Booking Florence/Siena Bus Tickets?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Siena