We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Extra" Palio October 20th

Siena, Italy
Level Contributor
68 posts
101 reviews
"Extra" Palio October 20th

So, it was just decided that an extra Palio horse race will be held this year (date set for Sat. October 20th). If anyone is going to be in the area the it could be a unique chance to see this rare event (last time one was held outside of July or August was 2000).

21 replies to this topic
Pacifica, California
7 posts
1 review
1. Re: "Extra" Palio October 20th

Is there a link you can share with more information on this extra Palio in October? We will be in the area that week and would be interested in viewing the event. Thank you.

Level Contributor
3,289 posts
102 reviews
2. Re: "Extra" Palio October 20th

Curious as to why this extra race was added if you know?

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,170 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: "Extra" Palio October 20th

Commemorating the end of WW1.

https:/…palio-straordinario-1.4166747

Siena, Italy
Level Contributor
68 posts
101 reviews
4. Re: "Extra" Palio October 20th

Hi Tess, at the moment the news is "fresh" and I haven't found anything in English yet to link to. I'd be happy to provide more information as is becomes available although I'm not sure what the best avenue would be. I could just keep posting in this forum but it might get hard to follow after a while. Does anyone have any suggestions? It seems as if Trip Advisor doesn't let you create travel articles anymore.

Here is info for now:

What we know for sure: Palio will be held on October 20

What has been speculated but not confirmed: The contradas to run will be chosen on September 30, Starting times of trial runs to be at 10 AM and 5 PM daily from Wednesday 17 October evening until Saturday morning. Palio starting time between 4.30 PM and 4.45 PM.

Eagle River, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,893 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: "Extra" Palio October 20th

I agree that official details have been hard to come by, perhaps they are figuring it out as they go. I know they have adjust for the lack of day light in October. I encourage everyone in the area to make a visit on one of 5he days. It is not critical to see the actual race but you can soak up the atmosphere.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3 posts
50 reviews
6. Re: "Extra" Palio October 20th

Our AirBnB owner just told us about this yesterday but it was the first I'd heard about it! Def. happy to see people talking about it here because otherwise online it seems like it doesn't exist. How exciting that we'll be there for it completely accidentally! :)

Pacifica, California
7 posts
1 review
7. Re: "Extra" Palio October 20th

Thank you Comac39. We’re staying in an agriturismo near Pienza arriving on Oct 19 and so will have to figure out how best to experience the Palio.

1 post
8. Re: "Extra" Palio October 20th

I am really interested on this event, a Palio in October is a rarity! I found this link for more information about where to get tickets https:/…

Siena, Italy
Level Contributor
68 posts
101 reviews
9. Re: "Extra" Palio October 20th

If you were staying closer to Siena I would advise you to come into town on the 19th evening as IMO the festivities the night before the palio are more enjoyable than the day of (not as crowded and you can experience the local life by participating in one of the Contrada dinners).

Staying in Pienza this would not really be feasible so you really have 3 options:

1. Go to the main square. Consider you want to get in at least an hour before starting time and it will take time to make your way in. Once there you watch the race standing in the middle of the square with partially obstructed views. Seeing that this is an October palio this option might be more attractive than usual as there will be fewer tourists and thus it should be less crowded.

2. However if you don't do well with crowds or standing still for long periods, you can watch the race on TV on a nearby bar while having a nice Spritz and some cold cuts and then as soon as it's over, run down to watch the victory celebrations live.

3. Buy tickets for the grandstands or a window (usually they start at a few hundred Euro each but might be discounted considering it's October.

Siena, Italy
Level Contributor
68 posts
101 reviews
10. Re: "Extra" Palio October 20th

Also, it's been announced that September 30 at 5:30 PM the racing contradas will be selected in Campo Square. If anyone is around this is truly a sight to see, watching the pure joy on the faces of those who get chosen..

Reply to: "Extra" Palio October 20th
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Siena
Recent Conversations