We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - Two nights in Siena

Maryland
Level Contributor
123 posts
209 reviews
Trip report - Two nights in Siena

My husband and I (late 50’s) visited Siena September 12-14. This was the third city of a four city trip. We had been to Siena before on a day trip, and loved it so much, we wanted to spend more time there.

We arrived by train. I was under the mistaken impression that we could not take a taxi to our hotel, so we walked. The escalators were a great help (except for one broken one), and the walk was not far, but it was hot. After arriving at the hotel (Grand Continental), and finding out taxis could indeed have taken us to the hotel, I apologized profusely to my husband. So, if you stay within the city walls, you can take taxis!

We spent the afternoon just wandering around Siena. We ate dinner at a little osteria. It was magical (to me), even with cars driving right behind me. We ended the evening in the Piazza del Campo, with adult beverages, a cigar (for my husband), and just people watched. Ah, bliss.

The next day, we continued wandering around Siena, but with some specific destinations in mind. We visited San Domenico (and St. Catherine’s head, so bizarre), San Francesco, some other churches we stumbled upon, the University of Siena, and the Civic Museum. Nothing was rushed, and we loved it all. We had lunch at a wine bar. After a nap, we headed to Gallo Nero for dinner. We had reservations but didn’t really need them. It was a wonderful evening, topped with another nightcap in the Campo.

The next day, we sadly headed out. My next stay in Siena will be longer, so we can enjoy the areas around the city. But Siena itself looked like a post card. Beautiful.

3 replies to this topic
pacific northwest
Level Contributor
632 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Trip report - Two nights in Siena

Thank you. We are walking Via Francigena from the alps to Rome, and plan a rest day in Siena. We aren’t carrying guidebooks and such due to weight, so it’s helpful to have guidance for a short stay.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,159 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Trip report - Two nights in Siena

Sounds lovely, Il Campo is one of my hubby's favourite places to enjoy a cigar. But for Jodi, I would certainly include il Duomo outside and in, not clear whether OP went there, the Baptistery and the Museo dell’Opera. Combi tickets available and they’re all next door to each other. As you are fit and the views from the top are sensational (you’ll be able to map out the next part of your path south!), climb the Torre di Mangia and also go inside the Palazzo Pubblico, both are absolute must sees in my book.

Maryland
Level Contributor
123 posts
209 reviews
3. Re: Trip report - Two nights in Siena

I agree a first time visitor should visit the Duomo. We did that on our first visit. I also forgot to mention that we also visited the Sanctuary of St. Catherine, which I enjoyed. Only takes about 30 minutes and is close to San Domenico.

Reply to: Trip report - Two nights in Siena
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Siena
Recent Conversations