We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip from Siena to Volterra

Sydney
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
day trip from Siena to Volterra

Is it feasible to do a day trip (in January) by public transport from Siena to Volterra, without spending hours waiting for bus connections?

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,195 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip from Siena to Volterra

You should be able to travel from Siena to Volterra by bus, with just one connection (in Colle Val d'Elsa):

http://www.trainspa.it/en/home.html

www.cpt.pisa.it/orari/extra/linea863.htm

United States
Level Contributor
203 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip from Siena to Volterra

Hello,

I’m also trying to figure out a way to do this by bus in April, and it’s rather confusing.

Nzfan, were you able to take this trip in January?

First of all, it appears that there is not a direct bus between San Gimignano and Voltarre. Is this correct? We would like to see both towns in a day. Buses from San Gimignano to Siena are no problem; including Voltarre seems to be.

FF, you posted the two train sites that I’ve been trying to use. It looks like both the 770 and 863 lines have a few buses that would get us back and forth from Voltarre to Colle val d’Elsa. The TRA.IN schedule from Siena to San Gimignano shows stops at Colle Calp and Colle Via Bilenchi. Are these stops in Colle val d’Elsa, and if so, which would we want to connect to the 770 or 863 line for Volterra? If these are not stops in Colle val d’Elsa, where do I find those on the TRA.IN site?

While I’m asking so many questions, could someone tell me the difference between the S Gimignano S Lucia, S Gimignano P S Giovanni and the S Gimignano P S Matteo stops on the TRA.IN schedule?

Thanks for all the help!

Sydney
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip from Siena to Volterra

We didn't do it - we went to San Gimignano over the day and that involved waiting at Poggibonsi for over an hour (connections bad in winter) - we loved Siena - we had it to ourselves in January, no tourists.

San Gimigano was also empty, but it was a bit rainy - it's become very touristy and a bit disneyfied, if you know what I mean.

I'm sure Volterra is much more of an authentic experience.

4. Re: day trip from Siena to Volterra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 09:16