We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in or by Siena when you have a car?

Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
20 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in or by Siena when you have a car?

I am looking for a hotel that is maybe not within the city wall of Siena, but just outside. Close enough for an easy, safe walk into town, but easy enough to park a rental car and get in an out aruond the country side. Does anyone have any recommendations. I will be going in Oct. Thanks! :)

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
539 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in or by Siena when you have a car?

Villa Scacciapensieri and Hotel Borgo Grondaie are two Siena hotels - both outside the city walls - that get good reviews on TA. (You can walk to city center from Borgo Grondaie and take a bus right out front of Villa Scacciapensieri)Both have onsite parking.

You might also consider staying a bit further out in the beautiful countryside and driving a short way into Siena where there are several car parks for easy access. We have stayed many times at Agriturismo San Fabiano which is a wonderful farm estate with many amenities and only 12 km south of Siena.

You can find reviews for all of these here on Trip Advisor.

Buon Viaggio!

Mentioned in this post
Borgo Grondaie
Borgo Grondaie
701 Reviews
Siena, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Villa Scacciapensieri
Villa Scacciapensieri
462 Reviews
Siena, Italy
Agriturismo San Fabiano
Agriturismo San Fabiano
198 Reviews
Monteroni d'Arbia, Italy
Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
20 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in or by Siena when you have a car?

Thank you! I will check those suggestions out.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in or by Siena when you have a car?

We stayed at the Villa Scacciapensieri three nights last September, and really enjoyed it. The location was very convenient, with nice views of the Tuscan countryside. it's on a hill just outside of Siena. You can't walk to town, but buses stop right at the hotel's driveway. The buses generally took about 15 minutes or so, taxis more like 5 to at most 10 minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
DFW, TEXAS
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in or by Siena when you have a car?

We stayed at Il canto Del Sole about 10 km outside of Siena but the owners gave us the info we needed on where to park when we visited Siena. Also on the hotel website lists their other B&B just inside the Roma Wall(I think that is what it was called), where I am sure they can tell where you would be able to park since the hotel is inside the walls.

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Hotel Roma
Hotel Roma
812 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
20 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in or by Siena when you have a car?

Thank you all for your input. I did look at all the options each of you gave. Most were above our price range, but maybe one day I can check them out in person. We have decided on Hotel San Marco based on reviews, cost and contact with hotel staff about location. Though it may be a bit modern for what I want to experience about Italy, everything else seems to fit what we need. I will review it once I return. Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel San Marco
Hotel San Marco
568 Reviews
Siena, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
6. Re: Where to stay in or by Siena when you have a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 04:16