We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around in Siena (affordable car rental)

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
TX
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around in Siena (affordable car rental)

We are planning on going to Siena in mid-April for 2 or so days and arriving by train from Rome. What is the best way to get around Siena to the wineries? I looked into car rentals and found it to be very expensive..About $150 a day for an Automatic. Can anyone recommend a cheaper place to rent Automatic cars?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,363 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around in Siena (affordable car rental)

Europeans regard automatic cars as a luxury. There is little demand for them from anyone except tourists, and the rental companies charge luxury prices.

If you can use a manual shift, the price would be around €40 a day.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,024 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around in Siena (affordable car rental)

The cheapest I could find on the web for a day rental in Siena was €50 for a "city car" on Maggiore.com but maybe there is something cheaper that is not on the web. :-) In any case not an automatic.

Have you managed to figure out where the wineries are? I've never visited a winery in Italy but I confess I have never put that much thought into it. I think it might be simpler to just hire a guide with a vehicle.

Cetona
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around in Siena (affordable car rental)

heat23,

I don't know where you checked out rates for automatic cars. I usually hire with AesseRent and the costs for a day for a small automatic car

is $79. For $150 you can have a convertible!

Probably for the wineries is better if you check for a guided tour.

Florence
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around in Siena (affordable car rental)

according to my opinion, if you want to enjoy your day outside the city and enjoy wine tastings and beautiful landscapes without thinking about indications, roads, parking and others, just try to arrange a wine tour with a driver...you will feel free and if you don't care about exclusive tour, you can share your tour with other people but not more than 8 (I don't suggest big buses!)and enjoy their company too!

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,093 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around in Siena (affordable car rental)

Remember also that with a car rental you need all the insurance. Your insurance will not cover you in Italy.

6. Re: Getting around in Siena (affordable car rental)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 00:17