We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free Wireless Internet?

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
499 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Free Wireless Internet?

Hi, everyone!

I'm going to post this in the greater Italy forum, too, but since I'm going to Siena specifically, I'll ask it first. SOOO...

I'll be in Italy for 2 months, and I know I'll be missing my husband a LOT! I'll probably want to email him every day... any idea how much 15 minutes at an internet cafe would run?

ALSO, (and here's the point!) I'm just deciding if it'd be cheaper to buy a $300 laptop with wireless. In the US, most starbucks and all mcdonalds have free wireless. Are there places in Siena where I'd be able to access free and/or reliable wireless... Any ideas? That would be awesome, thanks! Any advice you povide would be appreciated!

United States
Level Contributor
9,599 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free Wireless Internet?

Free wireless is harder to come by in Italy. You will have to register somehow to access it because of their anti-terrorism laws.

There are several internet cafes in Siena. The one I used was 3 or 4 euro/hour. You can buy cards at the Internet Train (a chain of internet cafes) good for 30 or 60 minutes.

The University of Siena may have access you can use/purchase.

I found that using internet cafes was much easier that taking my laptop.

TAB

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,714 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free Wireless Internet?

Italian law requires that people providing access to the Internet must record details of the people using that access. You will need your passport to use an internet cafe or to register for wireless access.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
111 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free Wireless Internet?

Of course you have to register yourself before you connect. Itlians in Tuscany are doing their best to get the speed internet connection? for example there are some residences in the countryside between san gimignano and volterra where you can get with your laptop the internet line!!!

4. Re: Free Wireless Internet?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2009, 05:38