We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best GPS device for Italy maps?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
44 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Best GPS device for Italy maps?

We will be traveling Tuscany and Umbria this summer by car.

Many suggest using a GPS for directions as opposed to a series of hard-copy maps.

Does anyone have suggestions as to which of the GPS devices (Garmin, TomTom, etc.) have the best preloaded maps of Umbria & Florence?

Thanks

Cetona
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best GPS device for Italy maps?

Probably it depends by the maps saved in the memory card.

Best is to have a new Gps, not an old one, or, if is an old model, upgrade the memory.

I had rented once TOM TOM, once Garmin, once MIO, and they were more or less the same.

Clark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
378 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best GPS device for Italy maps?

I can't tell you what is the best, but I used a Garmin while driving thru Tuscany and much of Italy and it was worth its weight in gold. The Garmin came preloaded with the maps of North America but I bought the maps of Europe. You can buy a map for just Italy and Greece. My only suggestion if you havent already bought a GPS, is to get one with TTS (text to speech). It reads the street names instead of just telling you to turn left, turn right. With the Garmin I was also able to preprogram places I wanted to go, before I even left the States.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
44 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best GPS device for Italy maps?

Thanks..this helps.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
44 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best GPS device for Italy maps?

Thanks so much..this really helps.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
301 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best GPS device for Italy maps?

We loved the Tom Tom 910 on our trip there. It outperformed the one built into the Car. That said, the car had one built in as I said...you might just try to reserve a car with one built in...

Drake

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
44 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best GPS device for Italy maps?

thanks for the advice

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best GPS device for Italy maps?

We've been trying to decide whether to spend the $80 to download Italy maps on our TomTom or to spend $80 ($10/day) to get one on our rental car so it was interesting to hear the TomTom outperformed the one in the car. We will rent from Hertz - can you tell us what rental firm you used and the type of GPS in it? DH doesn't want to lug GPS around when we will have the rental car for less than 1/2 of our trip but then being able to pre-loand addresses is a nice idea.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Naperville
Level Contributor
932 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best GPS device for Italy maps?

We also used the TomTom 910 last year and it was worth it's weight in gold. Being able to preload all the addresses we needed was great. It also helps to be familiar with how it works. If you get one in a rental car it may take some getting used to.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best GPS device for Italy maps?

Be very careful trusting a GPS in Tuscany. We tried this in May and ours tried to take us down many a road that were not there. We even ended up travelling down a road that kept narrowing until we had to fold down our outside mirrors to get through! Ended up in a cul-de-sac full of cars and no outlet. Not a pleasant experience!

We finally realized that just figure out where you are going each day, look at a map and map out the towns along the way. Road signs only tell the next town, not road numbers.

Good luck!

Italy
Level Contributor
92 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best GPS device for Italy maps?

I used several different type of GPS in Tuscany and I think TOM TOM and GARMIN are the best.

Jack

Get answers to your questions about Siena