We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English tour of Siena cathedral?

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Williamsport...
Level Contributor
18 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
English tour of Siena cathedral?

My wife & I will be taking a day trip to Siena from Florence sometime during the third week in October (probably Friday, Oct. 23). I was there for a day in 1996 and I seem to recall it was easy to get an English-speaking person to provide a private tour...maybe an hour or so...of the cathedral just about any time. Is my memory correct? Will we be able to catch a tour like this when we're there?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: English tour of Siena cathedral?

I don't know about a personal tour, but we rented an audio tour (headsets) in English when we were there, and it was quite informative. It let you go at your own pace, and listen only to things you wanted to hear about.

United States
Level Contributor
9,596 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: English tour of Siena cathedral?

I was there last Sunday and the only guided tours I saw were the large tour groups from bus tours. I did see several people with the audioguides.

If you do a search on TA member names for yvonne001, she posted a link to a downloadable map of the floor mosaics which are mostly uncovered right now until the end of October. It was posted in the Siena forum, with the Duomo in the title (if my memory is functioning correctly).

TAB

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,735 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: English tour of Siena cathedral?

I think TAB is referring to this planetware.com/map/siena-cathedral-map-i-sie…

alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: English tour of Siena cathedral?

Although you can not often get Dario to do the tour. He has two guides work with him.

http://www.dariocastagno.com/

Siena, Italy
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: English tour of Siena cathedral?

Contact the Siena Guides Association: www.guidesiena.it., or phone +39-0577-43273. There are many well-trained guides in the association, quite knowledgeable and with a good command of English. A couple you might like to try are Federica Olla +39-0577-49700 or +39-338-1339525, and Barbara Batelli +39-335-5418924. (Caution: phone numbers that start with 3 after the country code +39 are cell pnones; those that start with 0 are fixed phones.)

6. Re: English tour of Siena cathedral?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2010, 05:15