We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Train Tickets in Station

Redlands, CA
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Buying Train Tickets in Station

Does anyone know if there are automated ticket machines in the Siena train station? We plan on taking the train from Siena to Vernazza next month. As we are arriving in Siena by bus from Florence, we will not be at the train station until we are ready to go and I want to allow enough time to buy the tickets.

siena
Level Contributor
316 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Train Tickets in Station

yes there are ticket machines at the station and also a ticket office

alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Train Tickets in Station

Yes there are both an office and a machine, but I have seen the automated machine out of order so do not count on it 100%. WIll you be taking a taxi to the train station?

Redlands, CA
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Train Tickets in Station

Thank you for your replies. Now I just have to decide which train to take. Depending on the time, there are either two or three changes to get to Vernazza. Some of them only allow 5-7 minutes to change so that concerns me. We will probably take a taxi to the train station from our hotel in town, but will ask at our hotel for any suggestions.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,883 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Train Tickets in Station

>Does anyone know if there are automated ticket machines in the Siena train station?

There is an automated ticket machine at any station - it is a way for the rail authorities to save the costs of a manned counter. A train station where you cannot buy any ticket wouldn't make sense, right?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,502 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying Train Tickets in Station

>>A train station where you cannot buy any ticket wouldn't make sense, right?<<

According to a number of reports, it has been impossible to buy tickets at Varenna station for quite some time. There is no staffed ticket office, and the ticket machine seldom works.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,794 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying Train Tickets in Station

rj,

Just buy the tickets at a travel agent for the same price at these www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying Train Tickets in Station

I have many times had to board a train without a ticket because there was no way to buy one at the station. In this case, you have to go immediately to the conductor on the train to explain your dilemma. You will still get a fine for boarding without a ticket, which seems unjust, but it won't be as much as you would pay if the ticket inspector came around and found you without a ticket.

8. Re: Buying Train Tickets in Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2010, 06:23
Get answers to your questions about Siena