We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Siena from Rome

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
3 posts
Save Topic
Getting to Siena from Rome

Please help us understand how to get to Siena from Rome using the bus system. Our hotel in Rome is very close to the Termini train station. From there, where do we go to catch the bus and once we are in Siena, how do we get to our hotel from the bus stop. We will be staying at the property called Malafrasca. The address is Strada Chiantigiana 109, Siena. Your help is highly appreciated.

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Siena from Rome

The bus doesn't leave from the Termini station it leaves from the Tiburtina station. You can take the metro there.

to look up bus schedule

…busweb.it/privati/browse/schedelinea.asp…

Once at the Siena bus stop, it looks like you will have to take another bus because where you are staying is 1.5 km from the center.

call or email the place for specific directions. You may want to consider a taxi rather than take the bus from Siena with luggage.

Nashville, Tennessee
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Siena from Rome

Thanks for your reply. This is very helpful. Do you also have suggestions on how to get to Venice from Siena? Are there buses for that or is train the only option? Again thx a lot.

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Siena from Rome

The same bus company does go to Venice but only once per day.

www.sena.it/ita/activenews.asp…

there are more trains traveling between the two cities.

www.trenitalia.com

Nashville, Tennessee
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Siena from Rome

Their web site does not give me the option to pick Venice as the arrival city when I pick Siena as the departure city. Is it known by any other name. You are being extremely helpful. I will also look into trains now. They seem much more expensive though. Do you have experience in bus travel in Italy? Are they comfortable?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Siena from Rome

Venice in Italian is Venezia.

Most buses I have travelled on in Italy - mostly in Sicily - have been comfortable.

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Siena from Rome

The link I gave you in post #1 is the Rome-Siena timetable that you can search by date.

The link in post # 3 is for Siena to Venice, there is only one bus per day and only on Mondays, Weds. and Fridays.

that's is why the train to Venice might be a better option but more expensive than the bus. the price for the train Siena to Venice is 48.30 2nd class. You change in Florence and take a faster train to Venice.

I have taken a 3 hour bus ride from Rome to Sora and it was fine.

afghanistan
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Siena from Rome

By train:

Can I leave Rome very early, get off at Siena for a few hours, then get out at Florence for a few hours and head to Venice (to spend a few hours), and then come back straight to Rome- perhaps reaching late night? Or is that too much chewing?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,363 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Siena from Rome

It is impossible to see Siena, Florence, and Venice in a one-day trip from Rome. To see why, look at the train times on www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

9. Re: Getting to Siena from Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2011, 05:18