We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lucca with a Toddler?

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
10 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Lucca with a Toddler?

We will be staying in Lucca from March 1-May 1, 2011 with our son, who will be 19-months old in March. My husband will be at work during the day, so I will be on my own and we will not have a car. We will be renting an apartment and some of the day will be spent with the basics- food shopping, meal prep, meals, nap, etc, but I am looking for any and all suggestions for being in Lucca with a little one. Are there parks? Walking trails? Areas for kids? How easy is the train? I would appreciate any information or helpful tips! Thanks so much.

Alexandria, VA USA
Level Contributor
587 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lucca with a Toddler?

Lucca should be fine for you. First of all, it's flat (that matters when you're carrying a toddler!). Next, it is a walking town--they limit automobiles so walking is the norm (though you may have to dodge bicycles on occassion). The walls of the town are actually a lovely park, with bike path and lots of green areas. There are lots of casual cafe's that are perfectly kid friendly. I think you'll have a wonderful time!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lucca with a Toddler?

CTS80,

See knowital.com/html/lucca_-_places_to_visit__m…

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,356 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lucca with a Toddler?

Lucca is perfect for small children. In addition to what has been mentioned, dotted around the walls there are about 5 children's play parks. Also you can hire bikes with baby seats on the back to cycle around the walls, stopping off at the play parks. The train is easy and convenient, you can easily visit Pisa, or the beach at Viareggio.

Bathgate, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lucca with a Toddler?

i was in lucca in 2007 when childless and planning to return this year with a 2 year ol for our first holiday abroad and hotels etc. apart from a lack of swimming pools (some villas have them but I can't find a good outdoor public pool), i think it's perfect: quite flat and many pedestrianised areas mean good for toddling about. good areas of greenspace such the botanic gardens, and a generally beautfiul place. the piazzas are also good areas for a run around when you're a toddler. playparks on the walls are good too.

enjoy!!

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lucca with a Toddler?

We noticed a couple of things about our little ones and the Luchesse little ones that have not, thus far, been mentioned. Both seem very pedantic, but simplicity is frequently the most attractive to a toddler. The little orange buses that run within the walls are a great "ride". There are small and scoot around and seem always to have an adoring local or two on board to chat up your kid.

Local mothers seem to bring the kids, daily, to Piazza Napoleone (and Piazza San Michele if there's not a market set up) for pigeon chasing. The little kids amuse each other and seem to make friends - or allies - and engage in the futile, but entertaining, pursuit of pigeons. All local kids seems always to have a soldier of bread clutched in their hands, too. Guess that means a local trip to the bakery is essential. And then, of course, there gelato!

6. Re: Lucca with a Toddler?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2011, 07:41