We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st trip to italy

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
waterbury,ct
3 posts
Save Topic
1st trip to italy

any suggestions on a 10-day trip? it won't be my only vacation there ...flying into rome..

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
10,909 posts
481 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st trip to italy

It depends on a lot of things: of course, on your interests. For one thing, are you interested in Rome, or do you want just to fly into it to see other areas? If you want to visit Rome, I think that you'd need at least 5-6 days for a good visit. You have posted in Siena, so perhaps you'd like to see Siena: from Rome it is not easy to reach, perhaps the best if you base in Rome is spending a night in Siena too.

As a rule, don't turn around too much. In 10 days you can see well something, but certainly not all Italy or most of Italy. Look for information on the most places you can, and make your choice, possibly choosing places not too far one from another. For instance, in 10 days an itinerary consisting of Rome and Tuscany would be reasonable, not too hassling and quite pleasant.

waterbury,ct
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st trip to italy

Thanks for the reply. Rome is a must, but i would like to see other places. say, maybe amalfi or tuscany, they are in opposite directions.. guess 10 days goes by fast.. lou ruby

alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st trip to italy

I would choose Rome and Amalfi OR Rome and Siena. Not both. We find it hard enough with our annula 14 day trip to Tuscany to see everything we want.

I would take 4 days in Rome and 5 days to expolore Tuscany including a trip to Florence, Siena, and Montalcino area. We enjoy Siena as a base.

See what you like best and maybe next trip do Amafi and Tuscany

On your third trip do Venice and Tuscany.

What ever you decide limit your self to two hotel changes if possible

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
574 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st trip to italy

For a first 10 day trip, I suggest Rome and Florence. I think Florence is a better base for Tuscany than Siena, much better served by rail, and there is a lot more to do in Florence, especially when it comes to lounging in cafes. But do spend at least a half day in Siena. Their Cathedral is the most beautiful I have seen in all Europe, I personally would give Rome 6-7 days and the balance in Florence. YMMV.

Boston...
Level Contributor
264 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st trip to italy

we are going to italy for 12 days next month and will be in Rome, Florence and Venice 3 days each and 1 day in both Siena and Milan. I'm sure we won't be able to see too much things in each place but that's ok by me...it's my first trip and I just want to drink it in.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st trip to italy

Don't pack too much into your 10 days. Remember that you'll lose much of your first and last day just traveling to and from Italy. If you pack too much into your itinerary you'll waste a load of time just traveling. As you say, this won't be your only vacation there, so keep it simple and get the most out of it.

If I were you I'd stick to just Rome and Florence. There two cities are the foundation - the rest comes later. That is, of course, if you're interested in traveling all the way over there to understand something about Italy, Europe, Western civization and all that stuff.

There are lots of ideas and suggestions for you to consult on the forum here - it's all a part of the fun of going to the most amazing place in the world! Enjoy!

Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st trip to italy

Would love to know where u stay in Siena, traveling with 2 couples and looking for a nice, upscale accomodation in great location. We r doing 4 days in the area. Suggestions for top destinations much appreciated!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,733 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st trip to italy

rcw818,

Take a look at the Grand Hotel Continental.

For places to see slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm

Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st trip to italy

Thx. Why do you prefer Siena to staying in Florence? I am concerned about ease in moving about - i would prefer not to deal with a car.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,733 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st trip to italy

rcw818,

I don’t believe I said I prefer to stay in Siena over Florence. Where one stays is normally a function of what one wants to do.

I was just trying to answer your question. You have to determine what you want to do. Both Florence and Siena have ZTLs so cars can be a hassle , Florence much more so. Both are easy to walk. Florence has good train connections while Siena is served by bus. Florence has much more night life while Siena is quieter after the day trippers have left. If you are into renaissance art then Florence is a must. Siena has a more medieval look.