We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trains to Cinque Terre

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
idaho
3 posts
Save Topic
trains to Cinque Terre

Is there a train from Siena to Cinque Terre?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,267 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trains to Cinque Terre

Not direct. You would have to change trains twice: at Empoli and then at either Sarzana or La Spezia. You can get train times and costs from www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html looking "from" Siena and "to" the CT village you want to visit. Use a travel date in the next 7 days to see costs.

idaho
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: trains to Cinque Terre

Using the site you suggested "Siena" is an unknown - is there specific railway name?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,746 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: trains to Cinque Terre

The site suggested is the only site, and Siena is not an unknown on it. Try again....

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,267 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trains to Cinque Terre

The Trenitalia site is almost totally intolerant of misspellings. It will not recognise "Sienna" or "Seina", for example.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trains to Cinque Terre

Put in SIENA and you will have to nominate the village you want to alight from. For example there are five villages, from the furtherest south to the furtherest north are Riomaggiore, Manarola, Cornelgia, Vernazza and Montorossa al Mere...not in specific order. Corneglia has no harbour. Montorossa al Mere also doesn"t always have a train stopping or leaving from there at certain times. They are all very close together on the train line.

So for instance put in Siena and Riomaggiore or Vernazza ( which the latter is popular} and then that should work.

There are ferries between each village also and usually run regularly and have a board near the boarding point to advide the timetables.

Hope this helps.

Niec

Lovely part of our world!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,267 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trains to Cinque Terre

It's not Monterossa al Mere, it's Monterosso al Mare. On the Trenitalia web site, you have to enter "Monterosso" for this village. More trains stop there than at the other villages, because all the local trains stop there plus a few of the long-distance trains.

And, while we are at it, it's not Corneglia, it's Corniglia.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trains to Cinque Terre

Sorry Sydneynick....I must have misspelt it when I tried before. Been awhile and at the time I thought it meant no train stop at that station for the time I required. I am glad you corrected me with the spellings.

8. Re: trains to Cinque Terre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 20:17