We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siena - Where to Stay and Eat

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Siena - Where to Stay and Eat

My husband and I will be staying in Siena for 1 night and will be heading there from Venice and then going to Florence. We have never been to Italy and have been told that travel by bus from Siena to Florence is the best, but how would we get to Siena from Venice? We will not be renting a car so I am looking for suggestion on how to get to Siena and where to stay if we plan on touring the city by foot.

I've read some of the other posts in the forum and am leaning towards a B&B, specifically Antica Residenza Cicogna. Can anyone tell me if this is walking distance from most of the main areas of Siena? We are also open to other suggestions for B&Bs.

Last question is where is the best place to eat and drink wine :)

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Siena - Where to Stay and Eat

Trains arrive to Siena via Chiusi- Chianciano Terme (need to change).

To go to Venice, First back to Chiusi, change train and get at least another one to Venice. Or Jump on the bus to Florence and catch a direct train to Venice. To us Residenza Cicogna is the best for value, location and the privilege to be just a few tourists in there. To eat try Hosteria il Carroccio, Tel. 0577 41165 Closed wed. and tuesday night.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,970 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Siena - Where to Stay and Eat

I don't know how long the bus takes to Florence or where it drops you but I would have thought this would be the preferred route from Siena to Venice as you can take the Freccia Rossa (fast train service) from there. There's only one direct train a day from Chiusi to Venice Santa Lucia and that leaves around 12 noon and takes slightly under 5 hours. Siena / Chiusi varies depending upon the particular train taking anything from just over an hour to nearer 2.

With respect to where to eat in Siena, the list is endless. As a rule of thumb, avoid all the places in Il Campo stopping there only to have a drink, which I would say is a must. Outside of the main square, I don't think we've ever had a disappointing meal in Siena and we eat in a variety of places regularly.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,793 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Siena - Where to Stay and Eat

If you duck into the sidestreets even just a block or two from Il Campo, the price to quality ratio improves dramatically. I agree with lastraniera that Il Campo is good for a coffee or a drink, but even that is not essential. One of my favorite moments in Siena was just buying a gelato and sitting at the main square in the late afternoon. The golden colors just before sunset make Il Campo a magnificent place to relax.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,180 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Siena - Where to Stay and Eat

Someone mentioned Il Carroccio in Via Casato di Sotto. We ate there and it was OK, but the food in Casato Enoristorante was fantastic and it is also a very good wine bar. Just off the Campo.

http://g.co/maps/gp78v

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,112 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Siena - Where to Stay and Eat

The information in reply #1 is incorrect.

To get from Venice to Siena, take a train to Florence and then either a train or bus to Siena.

Travellers change at Chiusi when travelling between Rome and Siena.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Siena - Where to Stay and Eat

Thank you all for the tips, given that we'd have to stop in Florence on the way to Siena from Venice, would it make more sense to do Florence first and then Siena? The last city is Rome, is there a direct way to get from Siena to Rome in that case?

Bologna, Italy
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Siena - Where to Stay and Eat

yes there is a bus service from siena to Rome, check sena.it. Much much better than the train, which would require to make a connection in Chiuso or Florence from a regional train to the FrecciaRossa running on the Milano - Roma route .

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Siena - Where to Stay and Eat

For restaurants, we ttotally agree with LaStraniera's advice about il Campo (as well as her comment about never eating badlyl in Siena). We also quite love Hosteria Carroccio because Renata is clever with her use of herbs and spices.

For a slightly bigger splurge, you might want to try Le Logge (www.osterialelogge.it).

For a total non-splurge, we're just nuts about Grattacielo (via Pontani 8). If Siena had a dive diner, that would be it. Food's plentiful, tasty, and the price is beyond just right.

Edited: 16 February 2012, 09:33
Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Siena - Where to Stay and Eat

For restaurants, we ttotally agree with LaStraniera's advice about il Campo. We also quite love Hosteria Carroccio because Renata is clever with her use of herbs and spices.

For a slightly bigger splurge, you might want to try Le Logge (www.osterialelogge.it).

For a totally under-splurge, we're just nuts about Grattacielo (via Pontani 8). If Siena had a dive diner, that would be it. Food's plentiful, tasty, and the price is beyond just right.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,180 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Siena - Where to Stay and Eat

I did wonder at the order of your trip.Yes, more sense to do Florence before Siena unless you are backtracking later for flights out. If you are going on to Rome then Venice>Florence>bus to Siena>Rome (via slower train)

Get answers to your questions about Siena