We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drivers licence

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Drivers licence

Does anyone know if South African drivers licences are accepted in Italy or do we need international drivers licences ? Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,704 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drivers licence

An International Driving Permit is required for everyone who does not hold a driving licence issued by an EU country so, yes, you need one.

Note that International Drivers Licences sold over the Internet are all scams, offering worthless pieces of paper. You need an IDP from your national motoring organisation.

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drivers licence

Thank you Sydneynick :-) I appreciate your reply. Regards

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
411 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drivers licence

Hi Sydneynick,

I was interested in your reply regarding IDP's in Italy. When I was in Portugal my friend and I hired scooters for a day trip and we only needed to show our Australian drivers licenses. I would have thought if a IDP is required in Italy then it would be required in Portugal as well - do you think the scooter hirer was just being slack and wanted the business? As we are staying a couple of kms out of Siena we were hoping to hire scooters for a couple of days. I presume its pretty easy to get an IDP? Do you know if they are overly costly? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,560 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Drivers licence

Sometimes a rental place may not ask to see the IDP, but if you are stopped by the police and don't have it, you will be fined.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drivers licence

When I first came to Italy, most rental agencies didn't ask to see an IDP before renting a car. It was not their problem if you didn't have one when you got stopped for a routine document check. In those days, some policemen didn't even know that the law required you to have an IDP. Now most rental agencies ask to see one, and the police are also better informed.

You have to carry both your normal license AND the IDP. The IDP by itself is not valid.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,704 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drivers licence

Cohunagirl:

You get your IDP from the RACV. Even if you are not a member, just go into an RACV office with your driving license. I don't know how much RACV charges: I think NRMA charged me around $25 last year.

Whether an IDP is required varies between countries. Italy requires it, France does not. I don't know about Portugal.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
France
France
Europe
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
57,806 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drivers licence

IDP is not required in all EU countries. However, since it doesn't cost a whole lot, it's always good to have one in my opinion.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,704 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drivers licence

Sammy:

An IDP *is* required in both Italy and Spain. In both those countries, it is an offense not to have either a driving license issued by an EU country or an IDP. In France, an IDP is not required.

I have not investigated other European countries.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Spain
Spain
Europe
France
France
Europe
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
411 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drivers licence

Thanks Nick and co - will get one from the RACV.

Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Drivers licence

The actual Italian requirement is for an 'official' translation of your home country license. Fines for not having an IDP are as rare as hen's teeth. I've gone through at least 10 Carabinieri checks without one. I would recommend you get one since they're cheap, and also recommend you don't lose any sleep over it if you don't.

Get answers to your questions about Siena