We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do around Siena

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
Things to do around Siena

My wife and I will be leaving Florence on August 14 and staying near Siena for 2 nights and 1/2 days..what ideas do you think we should do..can we do Siena and San Gimagnano one day whole day..second day visit Lucca and Pisa and perhaps the half day see and winery...or should we just skip the winery..

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,936 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do around Siena

Do you know where precisely you're staying near Siena for getting around / driving times vary subject to which side of the city you're staying on and your precise locality. In order to see the major sights in Siena you need ideally one full day as an absolute minimum but you must note please that 15th August is the Feast of the Assumption (Ferragosto) - a major public holiday in this country, the high point in the Italian summer season and also the day of the second (Assunta) Palio so Siena will be absolutely packed with people 14th, 15th, 16th. Some visitors love going into the city either on or around the day of the Palio, just be prepared for the often oppressive heat and the crowds plus quite a lot of places will be closed on the afternoon of the 15th as everyone piles into Il Campo.

San Gim is easily visited from around Siena but although too Pisa is possible, including lovely Lucca in a one day trip is quite an excursion and one that I would argue merits an overnight.

Edited: 13 March 2012, 02:03
australia
Level Contributor
420 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do around Siena

We have visited Pisa twice and each time wondered why?

Having seen the tower, campanile and church, there is nothing! The second time was to accompany adult kids who 'just had to see it'. I would consider it interesting but not necessary.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,936 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do around Siena

A lot of people agree with you Ozziewanderer. I personally find the cathedral and the baptistry very beautiful indeed and away from the leaning tower area the city is quite lovely with some beautiful architecture and riverside walks. But the crowds and the hawkers and the associated hassle around the tower completely spoil it for me to the extent that I now dread taking visitors there.

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do around Siena

thanks for your quick response..I will be staying in Marciano which I believe is about 25 or 30 kilometers from Siena..

Upper Maremma...
Level Contributor
764 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do around Siena

People who say that Pisa has nothing are usually people who walked the wrong streets... Piazza dei cavalieri alone is more beautiful than the tower... but to each his own. this said you have such little time that you might want to limit yourselves to siena, san gimignano and maybe take a drive in chianti, stopping at some wineries, or visit one or two of the hilltowns south of siena.

Castellina In...
Level Contributor
102 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do around Siena

I totally agree with Casina_di_Rosa but 2.5 days is so short a time I think you'd be better doing less rather than more. I know Marciano (just around the corner from us, lovely place and lovely people - you'll love it there) and you're right in the middle of some stunning countryside and amazing small medieval villages. If you're staying somewhere like Marciano you would be certifiably crazy if you don't spend a whole day there. Go for a long walk (there's a ruined castle nearby and the forests and vineyards around here are stunning), spend a a few hours relaxing by the pool, and maybe go to a local winery if you're feeling energetic. As for your other day, spend it driving around the towns of Chianti, especially the smaller places like Gaiole and Volpaia. You'll fall in love with Tuscany and you can do the bigger places when you come back next year.

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do around Siena

In answer to your question..my wife will be staying in Barberino which I believe is close to both Siena and San Gimagnano..we will have a car early on August 14th..perhaps we should go to Siena directly and enjoy the day

as you mentioned it will be very crowded on August 15th..perhaps on that date we will visit in San Gimagnano and perhaps Pisa or Lucca if possible..

thanks for your information.

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do around Siena

does anyone know how close Berberino is to Siena and San Gimagnano..it appears about an hour for both..it appears this is a good location to stay in the Tuscany area..

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do around Siena

thanks for your thoughts..but I will probably not be going back next year..so I need to design a plan for this year..I know I cannot do everything..

10. Re: Things to do around Siena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 07:42