We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car Insurance -- Credit Card

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car Insurance -- Credit Card

Hello.

We will be arriving at FCO and renting a car.

I have read about the need for insurance to cover my deductible (excess).

My insurance agent has told me that my own policy does not provide any coverage.

Does a CREDIT CARD provide any coverage? If your card provides some coverage, could you let me know the name of the card and what the coverage is?

Any other options would be appreciated.

GRAZIE

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,420 posts
479 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car Insurance -- Credit Card

It depends on a credit card and you are to call your card to speak with an agent and request a policy to be e-mailed to you. We use American Express to pay for a rental car, but we reserve it through AutoEurope in the States and pay for it here in full. We also hand over our Amex for incidentals at the rental counter. Based upon Amex's policy, the rental has to be paid in full with the card for it to be the primary coverage. I think I also purchase additional coverage through Amex that charges me something like $18 every time I rent a car, but I am not certain whether that is for domestic or international rentals. In any event, call your card holders and see what you hear.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,772 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car Insurance -- Credit Card

Canada,

Try http://www.autoeurope.ca/

They offer zero deductible.

3. Re: Rental Car Insurance -- Credit Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2013, 10:26