We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siena il Palio - where to stay?

NY
Level Contributor
292 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Siena il Palio - where to stay?

It turns out that my plan to stay in Siena on an Italian trip coincides with il Palio dates ( July 1-3).

Which, as I quickly discovered, can be blessing and a curse, since there are virtually no accommodations to be had inside the city walls.

So my questions are

a) if I stay outside the city walls - how easy would it be to get to Piazza del Campo by 4 pm?

b)is it possible to drive there or will the parking lots be impossible to get into?

c)since there are no accommodations close by, and difficult to get in there from the outside, should I just change my Siena dates?

thanks!

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,839 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Siena il Palio - where to stay?

You're going to find it very difficult securing accommodation in Siena as late as this. You can drive into town in the morning but you have to be there by 9 or 10 in the morning at the latest (based on our experience) to find anywhere to park. Unless you're prepared to get there at dawn to find a free space and / or walk miles from the outskirts, bear in mind it'll be Euros 1.70 or more an hour to park. Palio is an amazing spectacle but I'd be surprised if you'll find anywhere to stay this late so the decision may be made for you.

NY
Level Contributor
292 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Siena il Palio - where to stay?

Thanks so much for your reply.

I've snagged a room at Hotel La Colonna. From what I understand, it's about 1 mile from Piazza del Campo, with a bus stop directly out front of the hotel.

The hotel looks a little dumpy, but beggars can't be choosers :)

I think it might actually work the best, as we have a car and plan to explore the surrounding areas. Drive around Siena on the 1st of July, and go into the city at night, and then spend the whole July 2nd there.

Will it be possible to get a cab after il Palio, or will we have to walk back? Shouldn't be a problem walking, as it's about 1 mile downhill, from what I gather...but I think a cab ride will be more enjoyable.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel La Colonna
Hotel La Colonna
626 Reviews
Siena, Italy
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,839 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Siena il Palio - where to stay?

That's an interesting choice. I drive by it so often and frequently wonder what it's like. It's right on a busy main road so you might want to try and secure rooms at the back as they should be quieter. Is there parking? If not, you can probably park for free under the trees further up the street. It's certainly easy to get in and out of with a car as it's on the road that runs parallel with the SI/FI and the big Siena Sud intersection is only minutes away. Easy too to get onto the Via Cassia and head into the Val d'Orcia. I wouldn't waste money on a cab, the walk will be far more enjoyable, it's lovely walking in the evening, as you rightly say it's all downhill and the streets will still be lively with people celebrating (or otherwise); the festive spirit lasts for days. Will be quite a challenge going up in the morning but there's bound to be a bus, enquire at the hotel.

NY
Level Contributor
292 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Siena il Palio - where to stay?

Wow, thanks so much for your input!

I was a little worried about getting back to the hotel after the event, because from what I read, the walking would be along a highway. If it's just walking the streets, of course we'd rather do that.

There is a bus that goes directly to the Piazza, and apparently stops right in front of the hotel. There's free parking; since it was the last room in the hotel, I don't think I'll have much of a choice if it's in the front, but I'm sure after all the celebrating, falling asleep won't be a problem :)

As far as the hotel itself, from the pictures and reviews it seems a typical budget establishment. I was hoping to stay somewhere more scenic in Tuscany, but I guess that's not happening. Oh well, I'll blow the savings on nicer accommodations elsewhere.

Speaking of Montepulciano, are there any wineries that you would recommend visiting?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,839 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Siena il Palio - where to stay?

tripadvisor.com/…41453927

I hope this link takes you to the topic we were just discussing. Consider Montalcino too.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Siena il Palio - where to stay?

We stay in San Gimignano and take the half hour drive to Siena. We take the Ouvest exit and park at the San Marco parking. It's not a far walk from there.

Mentioned in this post
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
NY
Level Contributor
292 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Siena il Palio - where to stay?

In case you were wondering what the La Colonna is like - the outside is better than the inside. Very basic, but functional. Spartan accommodations, but good location to see Siena AND be able to drive out into the countryside without parking hassles.

8. Re: Siena il Palio - where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 05:17