We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine tours from Rome in September

Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Topic
Wine tours from Rome in September

We are staying in Rome for four days (been there several times) and are looking for a wine tour outside of Rome. Prefer to visit somewhere in Tuscany (the best wines) but do not want too long a travel time (under two hours). Any suggestions?

Siena Walking Tours - Private Guided Tours
City Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Take Me Out in Tuscany
Wineries & Vineyards, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Antonella Piredda
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Private Tours
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
91,895 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine tours from Rome in September

You can't get from Rome to the Chianti wine areas in under 2 hours.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine tours from Rome in September

Perhaps Orvieto area? The wines in the area are quite nice and the geography is beautiful. Maybe train to Orvieto and have a guide meet you there?

Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine tours from Rome in September

I would take a train from Rome to Chiusi ( about 1 hour 30 min) , then take al local private driver and explore the wineries of Montepulciano ( Vino Nobile), which is at 20 minutes from Chiusi train station. If you take a train in the morning, you should have the time to visit a also a winery in Montalcino ( 40 minutes by car from Montepulciano).

I think this would be not only the cheapest option ( a tour with private driver from Rome would be really very expensive, I would say not less than 300 Euro for the whole day), but also the fastest one, because getting out of Rome by car would be longer than taking a train from Termini central station.

4. Re: Wine tours from Rome in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2013, 07:16
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now