We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Options for accommodation for 1 month in Tuscany

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Broadbeach...
3 posts
Save Topic
Options for accommodation for 1 month in Tuscany

Hello All,

I am planning a trip towards the end of the year to stay in Tuscany, particularly the Chianti region. My ideal trip would be approximately 1 month, so I am wondering what are some options for a cozy place that is within a reasonable price. However, I am not sure what exactly IS a reasonable price to pay for rentals over there?

This will be my first overseas trip and I will be travelling there by myself so naturally I'm a little unsure where to start looking and a little nervous as to what to look for. I'm looking for tranquility and security so I would prefer to stay somewhere where I'd have my own room (inc. bathroom if it was remotely possible).

Any advice would be really appreciated, particularly from anyone in Australia who has done something similar.

Thanks,

Mel

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,947 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Options for accommodation for 1 month in Tuscany

What do you plan to do whilst you are here? Do you already speak some Italian? Do you plan on hiring a car, at least for part of the time? If you're coming towards the end of the year, please bear in mind that is our winter when it can be very rainy and, sometimes, extremely cold. The Chianti is a beautiful region but it's countryside, the villages are fairly small, there's limited public transport and it's very quiet in winter. I write as someone who is here (albeit further south) in a small village year round. I have friends, I speak Italian, I'm integrated into the community but newly arrived and without the language (and a car), I would feel extremely isolated in the country villages from November thru until March. The days are very short too and quite often you wake up to mist that doesn't lift all day, and that can be a bit depressing. Sometimes, I don't go out all day in winter. Please don't think I'm trying to put you off, I'm just spelling out the reality so that you can decide whether it's really for you. Why not perhaps consider staying in a city like Florence? Maybe take advantage of your time here to take a language / art history / culture course? Many of the schools have excellent contacts for affordable accommodation. The other advantage of Florence is that there are trains and buses so you can make numerous day trips to places of interest, including the Chianti, and there's also a lot more going on by way of entertainment (cinema, theatre, concerts, clubs, etc).

Edited: 13 April 2013, 13:25
London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Options for accommodation for 1 month in Tuscany

One option could be this romantic tuscan villa with pool tripadvisor.co.uk/VacationRentalReview-g1879… 400 meters from the medieval village of Montecastelli Pisano, you can also visit Siena and San Gimignano, or search other villas on the top of this page, select "vacation rental".

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Options for accommodation for 1 month in Tuscany

Hi, Melly5880 - we would love to help you out here, and will be in a much better position to do so, if you would please answer la Straniera's questions. We'd have to agree, wholeheartedly, with her assessment of the Tuscan countryside during the winter months ... since one of us here at Artviva does, indeed, live there, full-time. During winter, it can sometimes feel like the bowels of the Tuscan countryside -- dismal weather, gray skies, a car necessary to get anywhere ... you get the picture.

Broadbeach...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Options for accommodation for 1 month in Tuscany

Thankyou so much for your reply, you really brought up some very good points that I needed to know, so I do agree that for that time of year I should look into somewhere like Florence or maybe Siena.

To answer your questions, I do speak some Italian (I'm half Italian), I'm not planning on driving around, I'll mostly stick to public transport. Your mention of the winter season was a good point which to my embarrassment I completely forgot about, so much so that I will need to change my travel times to a more warmer time. At this point I plan on sticking mainly to one place (unless I'm over there and get a desire to travel to some other cities). It's more to experience the culture, as I mentioned I've never travelled abroad, especially doing this alone, so I really am trying to get as much info as I can! :-)

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Options for accommodation for 1 month in Tuscany

Consider Lucca for your "base of operations". It is a fascinating, hospitable city in it's own right and also a dandy place from which to hub-and-spoke (day trips, mostly, with great public transportation connections) for a lovely, month-long visit. I'd not discourage you from your winter trip plan. if you will take the early sundown into consideration and, therefore, get UP early and get going (!), you will discover many rewards to being a Winter italian. I have found the Hotel Puccini to be a great place for a long stay (alone) because you become family and are treated with great consideration and given incredible assistance with planning your adventures and getting a handle on the proper logistics to successfully execute them. Lucca is magical on a winter evening (as is Florence). The holiday decorations are old-world beautiful, there are natives skating on the frozen-over-for-December portion of the exquisite Piazza Napoleone and there is a Puccini concert every night if you wish. You are welcome - as there are far fewer tourists - in the neighborhood tratoria, osteria, market, shop.....even farmacia. Take the tiny (usually two-car) train up into the Garfagna (snow, maybe) just to gawk at the amazing scenery. Hop off, have lunch, take the next train back "home". You will find accommodations, food, etc. so much more reasonable in Lucca than, say, Florence that you may be willing to splurge on hiring Tau Touring to take you around for a half day, or more, on a specialized excursion. (Tell them what you dream, they'll implement it.) Christmas and New Year's are special in Lucca. Get tickets - at Teatro Giglio - as soon as you arrive for the delightful New Year's afternoon concert - Viennese waltz music and other favorites. Warm, layered clothing, rain gear, a stylish hat.....you'll have a grand time!

Broadbeach...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Options for accommodation for 1 month in Tuscany

Thanks SavannahMarne, I did some research and Lucca sounds wonderful!

7. Re: Options for accommodation for 1 month in Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 May 2013, 11:35
8. Re: Options for accommodation for 1 month in Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 05:17