We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

With a home base in Siena, what are great overnight trips?

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
2 posts
Save Topic
With a home base in Siena, what are great overnight trips?

We'll be in Siena to base our trip for a week in June and want to know of some great overnight and day trips via a driver or train / bus. We plan on going to Bologna on either end of the trip, and are flying into Milan.

1. Re: With a home base in Siena, what are great overnight trips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 23:59
alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: With a home base in Siena, what are great overnight trips?

Overnight trips miss the point of staying in Siena.

Day trip in any compass direction but return for the evening when Siena shines.

I also urge you to keep enough days in Siena so not to rush seeing just the highlights

Do you have a car?

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: With a home base in Siena, what are great overnight trips?

What? A week in Siena and no Florence? Tsk!

Well my answer to your question is obvious (Florence), but if you must, how about an overnight to Saturnia! Hot thermal waterfalls to loll about in - something different!

4. Re: With a home base in Siena, what are great overnight trips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 April 2013, 11:06
Boston
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: With a home base in Siena, what are great overnight trips?

Hi, thanks. No car, and day trips are fine too. We're also going to Bologna afterward on our way back to Milan.

Yountville...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: With a home base in Siena, what are great overnight trips?

I will be in Siena this Saturday for one week. My Wife and I have a rental car. Obviously going to check out surrounding areas of Siena. We will do at least a day of wine tasting, and supplement wineries as we go. Thinking about a day trip to viareggio for a day hike of cinque terra. Thoughts? I'm not sure how far our radius of two hours driving from Siena works out just by looking on a map.

What are some awesome things to see that we must not miss.

Thanks.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,733 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: With a home base in Siena, what are great overnight trips?

Ygrec,

This may help www.sienamobilita.it/mappe/Mappa_EXT.pdf

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,733 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: With a home base in Siena, what are great overnight trips?

Garett,

This may help slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm

Yountville...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: With a home base in Siena, what are great overnight trips?

Thanks. This helps

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: With a home base in Siena, what are great overnight trips?

@Garret: We took day trips to Montalcino and Assisi. Both were fairly easy drives. The former has the terrific wineries and an abbey where you can hear the Gregorian chants. Assisi has the beautiful basilica, and the town is very charming. Highly recommend both.