We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siena - Il Palio

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
80 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Siena - Il Palio

Hi fellow travellers,

I am planning a trip to Italy next year in July. I am planning to be there to see Il Palio. I have allowed 3 nights for my stay in Siena. Would this be ample or too much time there as I could reduce the amount of nights to 2?

I have also allowed 3 nights in Florence.

Any advice would be appreciated.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,203 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Siena - Il Palio

If you can get a hotel or B&B that allows 2 nights in Siena, then that is great. My GF and her niece are staying 3 nights in Siena during the Palio because they couldn't find a place within the city walls that allowed for less nights. Siena is very charming in the evenings.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,105 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Siena - Il Palio

We stayed a week, but used a few days of that for car trips outside Siena. There is more than enough to see and do in Siena to fill three days, especially if you include the Palio.

Be aware that it will be very crowded and that, unless you buy seats at over €300 for the parade and race you will have to stand in the centre and be unable to leave that until the race is over. You can see the parade on the streets of Siena before the parade in the Campo starts.

Wilton, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Siena - Il Palio

I would definitely recommend 3 nights as much of the pleasure of the Palio comes from the run up to the Palio - the parades, trials and contrada dinner which are spread out over the previuos couple of days.

Little Canfield...
Level Contributor
888 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Siena - Il Palio

Even without the build up to the Palio there is more than enough to keep you occupied in Siena for 3 nights. It's a beautiful place and so many day trippers arrive for a few hours and think the Duomo is all Siena has to offer.

We recently spent 2 weeks in Siena and loved every minute of it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
80 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Siena - Il Palio

Thanks All for your replys! I will definitely go for the 3 days then. I did enquire with a few places for the 2 nights but they all seem to charge more and so it would cost the same to stay the 3 nights anyway.

Any ideas on how I can investigate into going to the contada dinner and see how much seating will cost and who to book through etc?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,203 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Siena - Il Palio

My fiance and her niece are in Siena as I write this. The B&B they are staying at had reserved a contrada dinner for them. It cost 90 euros for the two of them. They decided not to take the offer because of the cost and because it was on the other side of town. They preferred to use the funds to buy themselves some purses. Yesterday, they watched the trials and said it was a lot of fun and yet free. They are there for 3 nights. It didn't sound like they were bored.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
80 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Siena - Il Palio

Thanks DoubleD, 90 euro for 2 i think would be worth it. Glad to hear they are enjoying their time there.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,837 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Siena - Il Palio

And l'Oca won in a seriously exciting race. l'Oca is a fairly central contrada that I'm sure most of us have walked through possibly without knowing - Via Santa Caterina / Fontebrande neighbourhood?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,203 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Siena - Il Palio

The Goose!

Phoenix, Arizona...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Siena - Il Palio

Hi Starfysh - I recently stumbled upon this trip report of a couple in Siena for a day and a night. Seemed like they wanted to stay longer. I have had friends go and only spend a day there and had a decent time but Rick Steve's says to definitely stay for night.

This trip report is really well formatted. May be helpful for your planning (it looks really fun!)

http://scoutmore.com/trips/69