We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best means to travel from Cetona to Siena on a Saturday?

Cheshire...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best means to travel from Cetona to Siena on a Saturday?

Ciao -

The two of us are traveling Rome and north for two weeks late October. We are getting about mostly by train except renting a car in Chiusi for our three-night stay in Cetona to explore, with plans so far to visit an abbey and do a private full-day wine tour, both in Montalcino. We've planned to head next to Siena for one night before train to Florence and Venice.

We would appreciate any advice about how to travel from our place in Cetona to Siena on a Saturday - I am a bit biased toward dropping off the car at Hertz in Chiusi before they close at noon, and taking train to Siena, then bus or (calling ahead for) taxi to our centrally located B&B.

But would dropping car at Chiusi and taking bus be better for any reason? Or driving car? We could drop it off instead at Hertz in Siena near train station, though that would end up a keydrop. We currently also have a cancelable reservation at a hotel at outer limits of Siena, opposite side of the city from the train station, where we can park the car.

We'd like to get to Siena on the early side to make the most of that day, since next day our travel north starts a bit early.

Grazie!

Christina and Anton

Antonella Piredda
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Private Tours
Siena Walking Tours - Private Guided Tours
City Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Take Me Out in Tuscany
Wineries & Vineyards, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,135 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best means to travel from Cetona to Siena on a Saturday?

Drive to Siena and drop car there. You can take the train from Chiusi to Siena but it would be easier and quicker to drive.

Colle di Val...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best means to travel from Cetona to Siena on a Saturday?

Yes i agree, your best option is to drive to Siena by car since trains are not really that frequent or fast between Siena and "the rest of the world" :) then if your hotel is at the opposite side of the station you may have to take two different bus to get to it since in Siena bus lines has a "star" conception, the go from the outside towards the center of the city, trust me i live in Siena and your best option is to use the car and drop it there.

Saverio

www.vacavilla.com

Cheshire...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best means to travel from Cetona to Siena on a Saturday?

Thank you both! We need to drop car in Siena by 12:30pm since it is a Saturday. With that as a small caveat, do you have a scenic route recommendation? We will have traveled the route Cetona to Montalcino

already, so we thought an alternate might be good.

And Saverio, we are staying at Il B&B Corso on Via Banchi di Sopra. Back problems make walking it a bad plan. Do you know if taxis pass near the Hertz rental place on Vialle Sardegna, or should we call ahead for one? And we are in your Siena just one night so any thoughts on your must-sees, and a spot for wine and dinner in that order? And coffee in the morning?

Grazie!

Christina

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,135 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best means to travel from Cetona to Siena on a Saturday?

Just one suggestion for scenic route to Siena: Cetona - Montepulciano - Castelmuzio - San Giovanni d'Asso - Asciano - Taverne d'Arbia - Siena. The second part of the drive will be along the old Roman road, the Lauretana, widely reckoned to be one of the best drives around and taking you across the famous Siene "Crete". B&B choice in Siena is an excellent one. Options for dinner are too numerous to mention - what's your style, what kind of place are you looking for? Personally, I love coffee and a croissant in Il Campo at one of the numerous bars there, though nothing more as the food is notoriously poor and expensive. Same places are very nice indeed for aperitives in the evening but, again, don't be tempted to have dinner here.

Cheshire...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best means to travel from Cetona to Siena on a Saturday?

Thank you for the scenic route! We just hope to not get too enthralled and miss the car dropoff since I learned there is no keydrop at the Siena Hertz place. Will need to depart early I think!

To eat, we love light and open air during day and then warm cozy ambience and romance in the evening, wine and cheese and olives and bread, antipasto, piattini... Is the term piattini one that is used in Italy? We love a little Italian place in Boston by that name so I wondered. We want an unhurried place to linger awhile.

Grazie!

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,135 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best means to travel from Cetona to Siena on a Saturday?

A "piattino" is a small dish / small serving (anything with ino on the end is a diminutive) so piattini are small dishes / small servings plural. If you wanted a smaller quantity of something, you could use this term. But don't worry about being hurried, it may be different in restaurants hugely reliant on tourists but we're never rushed out the door anywhere we eat. On the contrary, we love to eat slowly taking time between courses lingering over a digestif at the end. Two of my favourite places to do this in Siena are both upper end price-wise - Le Logge and Da Divo - but then we had a lovely long lunch at I Terzi recently where I'm afraid we got a bit carried away by the wine list!

Edited: 20 September 2013, 06:09
Cheshire...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best means to travel from Cetona to Siena on a Saturday?

Ah sounds perfect. We have been over the moon planning this trip already but your posts, to us and to so many others' inquiries, have kicked it up a notch if that is possible, and made us more confident in some of the choices we have made.

How often is a reservation advisable on a Saturday in Siena for these two spots, and for that matter, while I am asking, in Italian cities in general?

As always, grazie.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,135 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best means to travel from Cetona to Siena on a Saturday?

In Siena on a Saturday night personally I would pre-book as it's a popular night for locals to go out. Elsewhere in late October possibly not, though note that Tutti Santi (1st November) is a big public holiday here. I see it falls on a Friday this year so the last few days of October may be busier than usual with Italians taking time off, especially if the weather's nice.

9. Re: Best means to travel from Cetona to Siena on a Saturday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2014, 05:17