We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Siena

California
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Parking in Siena

We will be staying in Siena for two nights with a rental car. We drove all over Sicily so we are aware of what driving is like as well as getting caught in the streets of a medieval city! We are trying to select a hotel (it's between Hotel Alma Domus inside the city and Porta Romana Hotel, outside the city). For the Alma Domus, apparently they tell you where you can park for free. The Porta Romana has free private on-premise parking.

We are wondering if anyone knows how difficult it is to find free parking in Siena and also, if once you find it, can you stay in the free parking spot all day long? We don't want to get in a hassle around parking the car, yet were thinking it would be fabulous to stay in the city. Yes we are aware of paid parking, but it's steep at 30 euro a day.

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks very much!

Mentioned in this post
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Hotel Alma Domus
Hotel Alma Domus
889 Reviews
Siena, Italy
Porta Romana Hotel
Porta Romana Hotel
390 Reviews
Siena, Italy
Porta Romana
Porta Romana
12 Reviews
Siena, Italy
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,867 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in Siena

To be honest, it's not easy. If I hit the city early (before 8 / 8.30) any day besides Wednesday (which is market day) I do sometimes find free parking up by the back of the fortress where there are limited slots but these fill up fast with business people (it's decidedly easier on a weekend). It's a residential street so, I would have imagined, fairly safe but I do not know for sure what the rules are on parking overnight. Personally, if it were me staying in Siena I would opt for a hotel with free parking even if it means a short walk / minibus ride up into the city centre.

California
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in Siena

Thanks so much for your honest reply. We would be arriving on a Saturday (19/10) and leaving on 21/10. So sounds like it would be a bit easier but still iffy. Do you happen to know whether there is a limit to the number of hours even during the day that you can park there?

Also, since we see that you live in Montepulciano, any suggestions for whether we stay (the next night after Siena) in Cantiano or Pietrafitta? We're trying to get a taste of a different place before heading home from Bologna.

Thanks again, really appreciate your help all around!

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,867 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in Siena

Sorry but personally I don't know either village. There's a Pietrafitta outside Castellina in Chianti, a tiny hamlet that is no doubt very picturesque. Perhaps Tuscan (Castellina resident who posts regularly on this board) can give you more info if that's the place. Where is Cantiano?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in Siena

This might be useful:

discovertuscany.com/siena/tourist-info/parki…

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,872 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking in Siena

Solemio,

If parking in the streets make sure to check signs for restrictions like no parking one morning a week for street cleaning.

California
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking in Siena

Thank you all so much for your posts. Really appreciate it. And thanks to peggypatch for the link. I had found the one with the static map in Italian but it did not list anything about the location of the free lots. Parking fees add up, so it's the free that we are looking for, as we would be parked all day/night until moving on from Siena. So now I at least know where they are. The rest (as to whether there are spaces open) is up to luck! Thanks again!

California
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking in Siena

We have just returned from our trip and wanted to thank everyone again for their assistance. We were able to find the free parking closest to where we stayed though finding an available space was quite challenging. We arrived at about 3pm and were extremely lucky that after waiting for 15 minutes for a spot, we were able to squeeze into a place only because we had a SmartCar. I can only imagine the increasing difficulty for finding an available spot during even higher season then October. People were sitting in their cars running idle just hoping that someone would go out. Once we parked, we left the car there safely for 2 days.

If you are going in high season, I would err on the side of the advice provided -- if you don't want to pay the very high daily fee, and don't want to spend time waiting to get a spot, it may be easier to stay at a hotel outside and walk in. That said we were very happy that free parking and staying within the walls (Hotel Alma Domus) worked out. We were so tired from daily activities, it was nice to just be able to walk out from our hotel and be in the center of everything in a 5 minute walk.

At any rate, thanks again to all of you for your help. It really made a positive difference.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Alma Domus
Hotel Alma Domus
889 Reviews
Siena, Italy
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking in Siena

Thank you so much for posting a follow-up about your experience!

My daughter is studying abroad in Siena next semester, and we will be visiting her in late march/early April (her spring break). Trying to figure out the best way to get around (we want to spend time in Tuscany, but also see Rome and maybe Capri...). Our group will be large (6) and includes my 75 year old parents who are in relatively good condition, but still vast amounts of walking hills is not ideal.

Your description was really helpful for understanding the driving conditions.

Mentioned in this post
California
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking in Siena

Delighted that the posting was helpful to you. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Our friends are now off to Siena next month and found what looks to be a delightful hotel also inside the city walls. They are going to take the bus (rather than renting a car). As you're probably aware from other postings, the bus lets you off in the city versus the train, which is farther out. I applaud your parents' desire to continue to travel and I'm sure that they will navigate the city just fine. I lived in San Francisco for many years and the hills in Siena do not come close!

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
10. Re: Parking in Siena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2014, 05:16