We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving for a day trip by car from Cortona

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,493 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving for a day trip by car from Cortona

Hello Advisors,

I have most of my travel plans nailed down and am getting down to a few remaining details that need to be sorted. One of them is a planned day trip from Cortona to Siena in our rental car.

Overall, I'm a bit concerned about making sure that we take care of tolls properly and avoid any of the ZLT...ZTL...zones and associated fines. Any advice you can give me to ensure we avoid any fines would be most appreciated.

My main question is relating to parking. I presume that we will want to get to Siena and then just dump the car somewhere and walk/bus from there. Can you make a suggestion as to where would be the best place to put our car for the day? This will be a weekday in late July (probably a Tuesday or Wednesday) and Siena will be our main destination for the day, so just a straight out and back from Cortona.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,209 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving for a day trip by car from Cortona

Siena car parking www.discovertuscany.com/siena/tourist-info

Edited: 30 April 2014, 01:10
Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving for a day trip by car from Cortona

Siena parking is easy, if a bit expensive now (Euros 2/hour) in the main car parks. Approaching the city from Bettolle, as you will, just follow signs to the Tangenziale / Firenze (not Siena), go onto the Tangenziale (main road) but get off at the first exit Siena Sud, it comes up really quickly within 500 m or so of joining so stay in the right hand lane. As you exit you'll see many of the public parking lots signposted with a board even indicating the number of free spaces available. I reckon the easiest to find is Il Campo so follow the signs to that one, it's clearly marked and located right on the edge of the ZTL, just make sure you go right once you enter the city through the ancient gate at Porta Tufi. Alternatively, even less likelihood of accidentally entering the ZTL if you park at Stadio / la Fortezza but I personally don't reckon those two are quite so easy to find.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,493 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving for a day trip by car from Cortona

Thank you. That is exactly the information we needed. I will see if I can follow your instructions on Google Streetview so that I can have a look at it all before we actually get there. I did that for driving through Melbourne a couple of years ago and it can be so helpful!

From those carparks, can we just walk to the centre of town and the main sights, or would we need to take a bus?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,493 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving for a day trip by car from Cortona

2 Euros an hour for parking is 3 Canadian dollars - we pay around 7 Canadian dollars an hour for parking, so that sounds cheap to me!

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving for a day trip by car from Cortona

It's a short walk of less than 10 mins to both Il Campo (the main piazza) and Il Duomo. Siena is hilly though so be prepared for strenuous walking. Yes, I realise it may be cheaper than elsewhere in the world but it went up dramatically from Euros 1.60 to Euros 2 an hour on Jan 1st this year and most of my Italian friends (correction, ALL of my Italian friends) still prefer to drive around for half an hour to search out a free spot!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,493 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving for a day trip by car from Cortona

LOL - and spend 6 Euros in petrol doing it. :)

Thank you. Sounds like we are sorted.

Yes, I am a bit concerned about whether or not I will be fit enough for this trip, but I am working hard to get there. We have a very steep ravine at the end of our street and I have been walking up and down that for training. Hopefully it will be enough.

Edited: 30 April 2014, 17:12
7. Re: Arriving for a day trip by car from Cortona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 06:15