We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Florence to Siena to Rome?

Palm Springs...
5 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Florence to Siena to Rome?

Hi all!! any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Any experience driving in italy. I am planing to take the train from Venice to Florence. Then i was thinking of renting a car and driving to Rome Stopping in Siena for a night or 2. Through reading I've come across some amazing cites i'd love to see such as Civitá di Bagnoregio and Orvieto. My question is: Is driving as in Italy as hard as I've heard? Do any of you recommend it?

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,074 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Florence to Siena to Rome?

We have rented a place in tuscany and driven to various sites on 4 occasions. It is not even slightly difficult to drive in Italy. You do need to know the rules of the road, have an international driving permit, and be very cognizant of the ZTL zones, but it is a great way to see the countryside. I'd pick up at the Florence airport and drop at the Rome airport to avoid running afoul of the ZTLs and the inevitable tickets. For Siena get a hotel with parking -- two we have used are Palazzo Ravizza and the Athena both inside the walls with parking and an easy stroll to the Campo.

The area between Siena and Rome is full of fascinating towns -- it would be nice to spend a few more days in this area.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Athena
Hotel Athena
3,520 Reviews
Siena, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Florence
Florence
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
56 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Florence to Siena to Rome?

We just rented a car at the Florence airport for a week and wandered around Tuscany. We had a Fiat Panda which was roomy inside (I'm 6'3") but fit the tiny streets and parking places perfectly. No problems other than you need to park outside of the historic areas in each town and then walk to those areas. Look for the "P" for parking signs. It's usually free. If you will be traveling with a smartphone, check out the free app from GPS Copilot. You can download the road maps of Italy into your phone so you have free GPS without wifi or 3G service. You can even get a 14 day free trial of the turn by turn directions. It worked so well that we returned the GPS system we had gotten from the car rental company, saving us 15 euros a day. Janettravels44 is right about the international drivers license you can get from your local AAA office. If you get stopped by the police, they may ask for it.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Italy
Italy
Europe
3. Re: Driving from Florence to Siena to Rome?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2015, 06:17