We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4-5 days in Umbria

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
4-5 days in Umbria

Two of us will be visiting Umbris in September-staying in Spoleto with a cara (4 days)

We have visited Perugia, Asissi, Orvieto, Gubbio on previous trips, and want to experience other areas in Umbria.

We enjoy historical sites, scenic places, wine stops. We are looking at Narnia and the roman ruins of Occlium(sp?) nearby, Todi, Montefalco (wine stop?)Foligno - Does anyone have comments, recommendations on these and/or other stops

We enjoy visiting wineries and heard that Antinnori has a place (castello en Sala) - does anyone know where this is?

Thanks in advance

jhgrady

Ko Samui, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4-5 days in Umbria

You may have problems removing yourselves from Spoleto (I do) however if you must leave then Narnia and Amelia are truly lovely. The drive from Spoleto to Montefalco can be amazing in Autumn (was last year) as the vines are bronze (orange) and it is spectacular. Norcia is a great day trip and the meat is wonderful and Penne alla Norcina in its home town is to die for...........

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,237 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4-5 days in Umbria

Spoleto is wonderful. Consider Norcia. Deruta, Cortona, Lake Trasimento and Spello. You may want to check into Truffle harvesting and grape harvesting.

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4-5 days in Umbria

Thanks to both of you for your input - looks like we will have a full itinery in Spoleto (or perhaps love one place so much we won't leave)

jhgrady

chicago, ill
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4-5 days in Umbria

Jane,

My wife and i will also be spending 4-5 days in umbria first time visit. If I may impose on your past trips what should we NOT miss.

Joe

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,237 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4-5 days in Umbria

Joe,

What time of year are you traveling to Umbria and what town are staying in? That will help. Grazie

chicago, ill
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4-5 days in Umbria

last two weeks of october staying at a b/b outside assisi

thanks

joe

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,237 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4-5 days in Umbria

The last 2 weeks of October, depending on summer weather is Truffle Harvest time. If the olives are early, they could begin their harvest season also.

From, the Assisi area, I would plan to visit Perugia and its underground city foundations, Lake Trasimeno area, Cortona and Norcia, Spello. For pottery there is Gubbio and Deruta. If time allows, Orvieto is so interesting. Were you planning on any day trips into Tuscany?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4-5 days in Umbria

We loved Spoleto. While there, eat at Il Tempio del Gusto and La Trattoria La Torreta. Both were very good!

chicago, ill
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4-5 days in Umbria

I was planning Siena when we leave Florence by car stopping in Siena and than traveling on the the b/b. One thing does haunt me is the luggage safe in the car or are we better of going straight through then returning?? Worst case someone steals all my wife clothes and she has to go shopping-this could be the MOST expensive trip ever.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,237 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4-5 days in Umbria

It would be easier to go to Siena from Florence. 1 hour. If there is not too much luggage, you could cover it well or lock in the trunk. Just do not leave items out on display in your car. It would be great to visit San Gimignano also. So different and unique.

Hope you will not have a car in Florence. When you head out, there are Pedestrian zones, so watch where you drive.

FYI: for your wife. There are some great outlet malls in and around. It is a shame that the dollar is so off.

Anything else? Queenie