We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with a stay in Monteleone di Orvieto

San Francisco
6 posts
Save Topic
Help with a stay in Monteleone di Orvieto

We are staying in Monteleone di Orvieto for around 7 days and had some questions about our stay. We will probably not have use of a car, but found http://www.umbriadriver.com/ as a resource just in case.

From Monteleone what are some good day or overnight trips by public transportation (bus, train)?

If we are flying into Rome what is the best way to get to Monteleone?

How is the weather in May?

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
448 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with a stay in Monteleone di Orvieto

We just returned from a trip during which we stayed close to Monteleone di Orvieto; we stayed just outside Parrano at LaCasella, about 30 minutes away. We visited the town in which you will be staying, and it is very charming and authentic. We had been told of a wonderful restaurant there by another poster on this site. Others will know more--but I can't imagine staying there without a car. Is there bus service on which you will be relying? We loved seeing many towns that are within an hour to an hour and a half of you: Assisi, Spello, Gubbio, Orvieto--if there's a way to get there without a car, more power to you. I just wouldn't want to go so far and miss those special places. We rean out of time and didn't get to Pienza and Montepulciano, which were on our lists. Though we had been to Florence before, I truly missed spending a day in that city. You're flying into Rome? What about taking a train to Chiusi and renting a car there? or Perugia? (although, I confess, we HATED driving around Perugia, finding the roads marked inadequately. You're in a great spot...but you need to move around a bit to be wowwed by the sights and to drink in the serene countryside. After a lot of checking, we found a great car rate on opodo.com--others will know more so I hope you will keep an open mind to expanding your plans. I also can't imagine a better time then May--I think there are a lot of festivals, then. Others will let you know, Just chipping in with my 2 cents as we just returned and loved our trip (including Monteleone!)

San Francisco
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with a stay in Monteleone di Orvieto

Thanks for the information.

Not found the bus service yet and we would like to visit Assisi, Orvieto and the many other small towns.

A car rental is an option, it would have to be an automatic. But living in San Francisco has spoiled me in relying on public transportation. We might just use the umbrian driver car service to do day trips.

Flying into Rome, and then the train to Chiusi from there I think we need to take a local bus.

Does anyone have a link to the local bus service?

What is the best way to get to Assisi or Orvieto with public transportation?

USA/CH
Level Contributor
244 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with a stay in Monteleone di Orvieto

Hi! I just replied to the message you sent me. I know what you mean about public transportations but I have to say that I'd HIGHLY recommend renting a car. Public transportations in that area are not the most convenient. I've used the bus to go from Castiglione del Lago to Perugia and it was a nightmare, I won't tell you how many hours it took! There is a rental car office right across from the train station. Try AutoEurope.com, they usually have very good rates.

4. Re: Help with a stay in Monteleone di Orvieto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 14:37