We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Umbria - Feb 2006

Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Umbria - Feb 2006

My husband and I are travelling to Italy in February 2006 but only have 2 nights in Umbria and would like ideas of the best towns to stay in and also to visit.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,572 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Umbria - Feb 2006

look on www.montefalcons.com...... click onto this where there is an apartment in the quaint village of Montefalco owned by A Kiwi artist (Alison)who lives nearby . She has lived there 11 years and is so helpful. This town has more beatified Saints (8) than any other place in Italy.We stayed 7 days here and loved every minute...... The best little town nearby is Spello (which was our pick of Italy) ,Bevagna,Asissi and that would be as much to fit in. Rome is 90 minutes away by train. Reply to me on this message if you need more info . I sent a Buderim friend (presently on an Italian 6 month language course in Urbino )there last weekend and She rang enthused about it.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,572 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Umbria - Feb 2006

Just a quick point if leaving from Oz investigate www.emirates.com and join the Skywards Club..... We booked on the net and paid by card and have ended up with a trip to Singapore in airmile equivalents. I got my card upgraded to Gold Citibank and that enabled free medical Insurance again saving $360.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
395 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Umbria - Feb 2006

Hello Isabelle. You really are spoilt for choice and it would be hard to make the wrong decision. Montelfalco is lovely as previous poster said. We absolutely loved Spoleto. we got a great hotel there with great views, the food in the town was gorgeous and we managed to tour to other fantastic places from there. Also - we felt that Spoleto was a real working and living town rather than part of the tourist wheel. We were out of season when the snow lay round about but it was probably all the better for it. Good luck with your choices but as I say - don't worry too much - it is all beautiful!

Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Umbria - Feb 2006

Thank you both very much for your advice. I did not think of staying in Montefalco...good idea. I shall look at the site you mentioned.

Jean, Do you remember the name of the hotel in Spoleto you stayed at?

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,572 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Umbria - Feb 2006

Isabelle........ Spoleto was an alright (just) place and a lot of buildings were covered with scaffolding.Nothing is better than a small village with real Italians living around you rather than an impersonal Hotel. As a dinky die you will ingratiate yourself readily and feel a part of the furniture quickly.An apartment is more comfortable and we ended up only staying in 2 of them in 6 weeks..... even did a bit of cooking as well after visiting the market.

Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Umbria - Feb 2006

Hi Mausgrass, can you tell me what the cost for the apartment is as the website does not have tarrifs. Also, we have a car, is there parking nearby?

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
395 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Umbria - Feb 2006

Hi Isabelle - we stayed at Palazzo Dragoni in Spoleto. Check out my report and photies - you can see for yourself how alright (just) it looked!

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g194924-d239…

jean

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,572 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Umbria - Feb 2006

Yes there is plenty of parking but if you send an email to ryde@ryde.it and ask any relevant questions I am sure they will provide the answers. My friends who stayed 2 weekends ago were wrapped at the covenience and quaintness.My friends have not answered my email on price but I think it was around the E90-100 mark per nite.

Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Umbria - Feb 2006

Hi Jean, I jave read elsewhere that quite a bit of Spoleto has scaffolding in front of the buidlings, I guess restoring buildings..is this true? The photos are truly incredible!

New York
Level Contributor
104 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Umbria - Feb 2006

We stayed in Tre Vasille in Torgano- which is owned by the Lungaratti Vinyard. Not only was it a wonderful hotel- with great wine and an outstanding restaurant- but it was easy travel to Daruta, Montefalco, Assisi (must see), Perugia (can skip that), and Todi.

It is absolutely in the center of all those cities so its easy to drive anywhere...I don't know if you will have a car....but I highly recommend you drive...Its the best way to see the most and its very easy to find your way around.

If you have 2 full days you can cover a lot.