We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggested day trips

Dublin, Ireland
4 posts
Save Topic
suggested day trips

Getting married next september in Umbria and was wondering if people could suggest good day trips for my guests? I was looking for something a bit different.... We will be based just outside Assisi, I know we could do a day trip to Florence (if we get up early!). uggestions welcome!!!

West Sussex
Level Contributor
242 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggested day trips

Can recommend day trips to the following:

Spello (just south of Assisi)

Trevi (further south)

Spoleto (further still)

Montefalco (short distance s/west)

Todi (south west)

Bagno Vignoni (over the border in Tuscany)

Montepulciano " "

Florence is possible but you would spend a lot of time travelling. Better to go to Siena.

Rome,Italy
Level Contributor
526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: suggested day trips

I'd add to that list Nocera Umbra,and maybe a loop around Lago Trasimeno.Cortona and Perugia are very nice,too.

There are many places to go for a day.I always suggest to people to find towns nearby,locate the website,and see what sagre and feste are going on in that time period.There is usually something happening within a 10 mile radius of where one is staying on any given weekend.It's a great way to experience local customs,traditions and,the best reason,food and wine!I do it often if nothing else is going on.

Have a great trip and AUGURI!

ciao,michael

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,726 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggested day trips

Do not overlook Gubbio. We stayed there for 4 days a few years ago and greatly enjoyed the city and the surrounding area.

New Jersey USA
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: suggested day trips

Go to Spoleto (Umbria) and Cortona (Tuscany)both not too far from Assisi. I've been to Assisi in '03...quite wonderful...you are lucky to be marrying there. I'll be going to both Spoleto and Cortona in March '06 during my trip thru Tuscany, Umbria, and Amalfi Coast - did a lot of reading up on both and highly recommend it. If you liked "Under The Tuscan Sun" then you'll like Cortona as Francis Mayes' villa is there.

Dublin, Ireland
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: suggested day trips

Thanks for the suggestions - We managed to get to Spoleto on our last trip (in between wedding planning!). It was gorgeous! Looking forward to checking out the other towns mentioned.

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggested day trips

My favorite near-Assisi hilltowns are:

Spello (15 mins by car)

Bevagna (30 mins by car - and many "hidden treasures" there....seek the Roman wonders, the medieval merchant's home re-created. etc)

Montefalco (45 mins by car)

Gubbio (50 mins by car - and take one road up and another back - check map - both breath-taking - this route takes you along some of the most spectacular landscape in Umbria)

Spoleto (45 mins by car)

Orvieto (1 hr 10 mins by car - stop and have a gelato in main piazza of Todi enroute - or on way back)

Perugia ( - 20 mins - but take train there - easier than driving in)....

Narni ( - 1 hr - Italian-speaker in your group necessary if you do not have a guide - to see an AMAZING site there) and the Nera River Valley enroute home, via Ferentillo, etc....

....and then there is Norcia.....and the countless tiny gems to wander, eg, Bettona....

(Have a month!!??!?)