As I sit here waiting for the children and grandchildren to arrive and shatter the peace, I am preoccupied with a puzzle of accommodations. We have some rather specific wishes about a place to stay for 4-5 nights in Southern Umbria in April. I have been frustrated in finding a candidate , or two or three, to fulfill our wishes. And I have worked at it.
Here is what we want:
1) in (not near, but in) a small town of perhaps 10,000-40,000 population that retains its historic flavors;
2) Southern Umbria, let us say South of Spello;
3) very comfortable, probably 3-star type, hotel or B&B, probably around 100 euro per night;
4) town should admit a little casual shopping;
5) several restaurants/ trattoria/osteria in town;
6) parking at or near the accommodation;
We love Bevagna, but have seen enough that we prefer elsewhere this time. Other places that I have looked at all seem to fail two or three of our requirements. I assume that my looking has been inadequate - there must be many good candidates.
Any suggestions or advice on this would be very much appreciated.