We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a place in Southern Umbria

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,560 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
a place in Southern Umbria

As I sit here waiting for the children and grandchildren to arrive and shatter the peace, I am preoccupied with a puzzle of accommodations. We have some rather specific wishes about a place to stay for 4-5 nights in Southern Umbria in April. I have been frustrated in finding a candidate , or two or three, to fulfill our wishes. And I have worked at it.

Here is what we want:

1) in (not near, but in) a small town of perhaps 10,000-40,000 population that retains its historic flavors;

2) Southern Umbria, let us say South of Spello;

3) very comfortable, probably 3-star type, hotel or B&B, probably around 100 euro per night;

4) town should admit a little casual shopping;

5) several restaurants/ trattoria/osteria in town;

6) parking at or near the accommodation;

We love Bevagna, but have seen enough that we prefer elsewhere this time. Other places that I have looked at all seem to fail two or three of our requirements. I assume that my looking has been inadequate - there must be many good candidates.

Any suggestions or advice on this would be very much appreciated.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,560 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a place in Southern Umbria

As for above, i neglected to say that Orvieto might be good for us, but I hope to find some other candidates.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,787 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a place in Southern Umbria

roadgard,

I have stayed in Spoleto a few times and been very happy. These apartments http://www.umbriaholidayrentals.com/?view=

have worked nicely for me.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,560 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a place in Southern Umbria

travelsitaly is, as you know, among the very finest of fellow-travelers, but I am compelled to repeat the question; so, therefore,

BUMP.

Help me out here, people, i can't do it all alone.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
229 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a place in Southern Umbria

There were a lot of specific requirements that make this a hard one!

Would Trevi fit your needs? Its maintained its historic character and is located south of Spello. A number of restaurants are located in the town. But its population, at maybe 8,000, is smaller than you indicated. The Hotel Antica Dimora Alla Rocca, a restored palazzo, is in the town center and provides parking. Although the Hotel is a 4 star and not the 3 star you wanted, it's showing a rate of 69 Euros per night for standard double rooms in April, which does fall into your price range.

This is all I can think of that comes close to what you're looking for!

Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a place in Southern Umbria

As anyone who follows my Umbria blog knows, I very rarely say something negative about Umbria. However, I feel I should warn you that Trevi has been going through extensive renovation--much of the town was under scaffolding and hard to enjoy during the past year. I'm not sure what the situation will be like in April, but there's nothing more disappointing than having a charming hill town experience in mind and finding it hidden behind construction fences.

I second the vote for Spoleto, which I think most closely fits what you're looking for (they had a little work going on on the bell tower and some buildings in the piazza, but nothing too overwhelming.).

Enjoy Umbria!

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,560 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a place in Southern Umbria

Thank you, Brigolante and bkb, that is very helpful information.

Edited: 06 January 2011, 15:18
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
229 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a place in Southern Umbria

I wasn't aware of the renovation. That's a good thing to know!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: a place in Southern Umbria

And I will give Spoleto another second (third?). It is our favorite town in Umbria. We usually stay for 5 nights because it has all of what you seem to be looking for. Last May we stayed at the Palazzo Dragoni which is quite amazing and nicely located in the historic upper town. It has parking right next to the Hotel, good shopping, great restaurants, excellent views, Roman ruin sites, and best of all we have always caught some type of musical performance during our stay. (Not the festival) The breakfasts at the Dragoni are really good...perfect omelets. We had a room with a beautiful view of the town and Spoleto vale...but it was 150 euro, but well well worth it. Huge bathrooms...with a view also!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,003 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: a place in Southern Umbria

Could I suggest Norcia? It's a lovely historic city, renowned for its pork products. When we were there a few years ago, we were able to go to the church crypt in the evening for evensong chanted by monks. And there is absolutely stunning high country scenery nearby in the Piano Grande. For some photos, see http://www.nickbooth.id.au/Pages/Norcia.html

10. Re: a place in Southern Umbria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2012, 11:39